The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Torque Converter

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Torque Converter

So, what are the symptoms of a faulty torque converter?

I changed the tranny fluid and filter on my car today, and it still struggles to take off when I accelerate and it seems to be forcing itself to maintain constant speeds, mostly around ~45mph+.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    I got a spare if you need it, but as far as that goes it could be a possibility that its about to go.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar

Re: Torque Converter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(agrsv7g)</div><div class='quotemain'>So, what are the symptoms of a faulty torque converter?

I changed the tranny fluid and filter on my car today, and it still struggles to take off when I accelerate and it seems to be forcing itself to maintain constant speeds, mostly around ~45mph+.</div>

Those sound like symtoms of a bad torque converter. Since its A/T..disconnect the battery for about 2-3 mins. Try to reset the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) and see if the problem still occurs.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

doubtful its the torque converter..

never had to replace one for symptoms like that. the only common failure of older mitsu torque converters is when the turbine splines strip out, which renders the car completely immobile. no forward or reverse at all.

sounds more like an actual trans issue, or a drivability concern.

Hmmmm...yeah Bronx, I know you got my back when I need 7G parts. I'll try the 2-3 minute TCU reset thing. As far as drivability concern manybrews, should I stop driving the car 'cuz it could flip out on me or what else do you suggest?

need more info.
    is it shifting into every gear? is it stuck in failsafe (3rd gear) only? Is the engine running poorly? does it idle smoothly, or want to die? more details.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>need more info.
    is it shifting into every gear? Â*is it stuck in failsafe (3rd gear) only? Â*Is the engine running poorly? Â*does it idle smoothly, or want to die? Â*more details.</div>

It shifts into every gear. I don't think it's in failsafe, since I can feel it shifting gears as my speed increases and my RPMs will continually increase and drop with every shift. The idle is smooth and constant at about 750-950 RPM between cold start and warm. And usually 650-750 at idle, if I'm not mistaken. I haven't had a chance to go out and disconnect the battery yet to try and reset the TCU.

****UPDATE****
    I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes, reconnected it, and halfway around the block after coming to a stop, the car died. I restarted the car and everything seemed fine. The car seems to shake more while it is in Reverse gear. The car was accelerating ok, but even when I put the accelerator "to the floor," there was no change in acceleration. So I got to thinking, a while ago, the TPS was replaced on my car; Could it have been installed incorrectly? There's no light out, and it's too late to be outside to check, but I'll check the TPS tomorrow, but my question still stands, is there a right/wrong way to install the TPS?

Again, I thank you in advance for any/all responses to my thread.

brandon
    Without a logger you won't really be able to tell if the TPS is in the right location.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>Without a logger you won't really be able to tell if the TPS is in the right location.</div>

I got to thinking throughout the day today. Doesn't the TPS send a signal between 0-5 volts to the ECU to "tell" it how open the throttle is, 0V being at idle, and 5V at wide-open throttle? So, assuming that, wouldn't I be able to use a multimeter to probe the TPS with the key just turned to ACC in the ignition?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(agrsv7g)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>Without a logger you won't really be able to tell if the TPS is in the right location.</div>

I got to thinking throughout the day today. Doesn't the TPS send a signal between 0-5 volts to the ECU to "tell" it how open the throttle is, 0V being at idle, and 5V at wide-open throttle? So, assuming that, wouldn't I be able to use a multimeter to probe the TPS with the key just turned to ACC in the ignition?</div>
    yes. but there IS a special way to set it up. you dont just set it to a specific voltage for that model year.

also, the car stalled and is shaking a little more because you erased the adaptive idle memory. Youll need to clean the throttle body before the car idles perfectly again (or wait for a LONG, LONG time for it to relearn).

So what's your recommendation? Just keep driving it until it relearns to see IF it even relearns at all and see if it gets worse or what?

no, theres nothing to "relearn" on that model but for the idle.

if you think something is wrong, best have it checked as soon as possible.