The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car has been sitting for 10 months, exhaust and belt Q's

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Khayle

Car has been sitting for 10 months, exhaust and belt Q's

1994 Galant S 4cyl SOHC

Okay, my car has been sitting for 10 months about. It starts, but is now plagued by numerous problems. I went though this last summer, but im gonna fix it all now.

Last summer my alt belt broke after sustained squealing. It started squealing again at end of last summer. I want to tighten it, but dont know how. Help please? (pictures would be sweet)

Brakes sound AWFUL. probably just from sitting, but im going to change them anyway.

okay,....now last summer my car failed inspection. exhaust is bunk has holes apparently. I took it to midas, and they said i needed a whole knew exhaust from catylitic converter back. new pipes and muffler. they wanted to charge me 900$........please tell me they were trying to rip me off. (i got a friend to pass me, woot for inspection friends). Can i just shoot down to autozone and snag a 40$ generic muffler and get some new pipes, or do i really need the "ULTRA MAGNUS MUFFLER OF JAPANIESE INCREDIBILITY AND PIPES OF MASS DESTRUCTION ULTRA AWESOMENESS" like midas said. i REALLY need help on that. midas said because of my car, the parts are all imported and have O2 sensors and will run 200 for the muffler, 200 for each pipe. please please help me.

dave1
    u can try partsamerica.com i see they got the parts for almost half what they are charging you? what is it you need a muffler and pipe?

dave1
    na no way that should cost 900 bux tell them screw them selves

Khayle
    yea, i just need a muffler and pipe. Okay this is excellent, because i was going to have to cheat again this year if i really had to pay that much. damn francaises.. thanks alot guys i appreciate the help. keep the suggestions coming :-)

Hey just find some hole in the wall muffler shop. They should be able to bend all the pipping you need and put on a muffler. shouldn't cost 900 bucks to do either probably at most 300. Good luck with everything hope it works out.

Khayle
    awesome guys thanks. that takes cre of the exhaust, anyone know how to tighten the alt belt? and could tell me how?

Proto
    Bolt on the leftside (bottom) and a tension bolt on the front top. Just undo the bottom bolt and tighten the tension bolt. last retighten the bottom bolt.

8G_GTZ
    last post was good answer for the alt. bolt.

as for the exhaust, no car takes $900 for an exhaust. especially from the cat back. at most it should be $350. but for our application i have heard anywhere from $150-$300. If you are going just for the stock type specs, go for the crimped bends, if you are really going for performance find a shop that does mandrel bends. <--that usually gets a little more cost but not hundreds of dollars.

Steve

Proto
    mandrel bends actually were cheaper for me.

There was a guy in ebay not long ago selling the catback set for around 200 + shipping.

Also, you might want to change the catalytic or at least have it checked out to make sure is not clogged.

(By the way if you cost the parts from mitsubishi dealers, then you will pay around $1000)

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    The shop I go to said they could do me a dual exhaust for my 7g for $350, so yes they are charging you way to much.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion