The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Another long tranny problem post

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3
    Johnny Rock

Another long tranny problem post

Hey guys, I've read all 31 pages in this forum, and peano's AT/MT swap tutorial. I guess I wasn't so lucky, my G didn't survive. I bought it from some worthless bag-of-crap dealer in the country with 99k on it(It's a 1996 ES 2.4/AT/OD/Power everything/Sunroof/all that). It kinda did this thing where it didn't wanna go in gear, had to put it in P and try again, and then the problem just went away.

I was on the north side of town, and slowing down for the red light. Transmission GRENADED. It was loud...the car shook, everything except my stereo cut out, and it smelled like burnt transmission fluiid. Now, the car won't move, at all. It's actually been sitting in my mom's backyard for 3 years now. I had my uncle(ASE mechanic, 50+ years experience) take a look at it. I was quoted $1800 for a rebuild, including the shop sending a rollback to get it. My uncle said it's not rebuildable, even the housing is gone. The kicker.. I had it for a month, maybe 2 before this sheet happened. The loophole was, I live in BFE, I'm 40 miles from anything, and I worked a good 60 miles away. I put A LOT of miles on my vehicle, and his warranty(i was a dumbass and didn't read it) was 1000 miles. I have 3 questions...

1) How the hell can I move this thing 1000 feet to my uncle's shop? He's unable to help me now, he's battling cancer for the 3rd time in 10 years. Even with the shifter in neutral, the car won't budge. I've pushed on it with a truck, not to the point where I'd trash the bumper, but... The truck dug into the dirt.

2) What should I expect to pay for a decent MT core? I think peano got a hell of a deal..lol.

3) Is it really worth it? I'm already out $4300 for the car itself. The interior's taken a beating, the battery was stolen by a roving band of hillbillies, all the fluids have to be flushed, the tires are I'm sure flat spotted, I'm sure the bushings are trashed, god knows how many bugs live in it.. I mean it was an OK car, but not really me. I'm a minitrucker.

I cleaned out my closet and found the bill of sale, he didn't mark anything on the odometer statement... I dunno how much of a legal issue that is, especially since it's been so long ago. I had tried to get his mechanic to look at it a couple times, and he was always "sick". I had another issue, the water pump crapped out and the car overheated BAD. I was on some windy backroads with absolutely no safe place to pull over, and finally I pulled into a church and the car shut itself off...so I'm pretty sure the head is a doorstop now too... I'm just..It depresses me to look at it, and I wrecked my truck last spring and I haven't had a vehicle of my own since. If anybody wants to make an offer on it, knock yourself out. The paint looks like crap from oxidation, but... everything is there except for a battery and a sound system.

Re: Another long tranny problem post

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock
    Hey guys, I've read all 31 pages in this forum, and peano's AT/MT swap tutorial. I guess I wasn't so lucky, my G didn't survive. I bought it from some worthless bag-of-crap dealer in the country with 99k on it(It's a 1996 ES 2.4/AT/OD/Power everything/Sunroof/all that). It kinda did this thing where it didn't wanna go in gear, had to put it in P and try again, and then the problem just went away.

I was on the north side of town, and slowing down for the red light. Transmission GRENADED. It was loud...the car shook, everything except my stereo cut out, and it smelled like burnt transmission fluiid. Now, the car won't move, at all. It's actually been sitting in my mom's backyard for 3 years now. I had my uncle(ASE mechanic, 50+ years experience) take a look at it. I was quoted $1800 for a rebuild, including the shop sending a rollback to get it. My uncle said it's not rebuildable, even the housing is gone. The kicker.. I had it for a month, maybe 2 before this sheet happened. The loophole was, I live in BFE, I'm 40 miles from anything, and I worked a good 60 miles away. I put A LOT of miles on my vehicle, and his warranty(i was a dumbass and didn't read it) was 1000 miles. I have 3 questions...

1) How the hell can I move this thing 1000 feet to my uncle's shop? He's unable to help me now, he's battling cancer for the 3rd time in 10 years. Even with the shifter in neutral, the car won't budge. I've pushed on it with a truck, not to the point where I'd trash the bumper, but... The truck dug into the dirt.

2) What should I expect to pay for a decent MT core? I think peano got a hell of a deal..lol.

3) Is it really worth it? I'm already out $4300 for the car itself. The interior's taken a beating, the battery was stolen by a roving band of hillbillies, all the fluids have to be flushed, the tires are I'm sure flat spotted, I'm sure the bushings are trashed, god knows how many bugs live in it.. I mean it was an OK car, but not really me. I'm a minitrucker.

I cleaned out my closet and found the bill of sale, he didn't mark anything on the odometer statement... I dunno how much of a legal issue that is, especially since it's been so long ago. I had tried to get his mechanic to look at it a couple times, and he was always "sick". I had another issue, the water pump crapped out and the car overheated BAD. I was on some windy backroads with absolutely no safe place to pull over, and finally I pulled into a church and the car shut itself off...so I'm pretty sure the head is a doorstop now too... I'm just..It depresses me to look at it, and I wrecked my truck last spring and I haven't had a vehicle of my own since. If anybody wants to make an offer on it, knock yourself out. The paint looks like crap from oxidation, but... everything is there except for a battery and a sound system.
    you could jack it up and sit the front wheels on skateboard to move it.
    or.....................
    you could call a tow truck

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    if you can get a good deal on a m/t it would be worth it, but like you said, you already dumped in plenty of money
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd