The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 3.0L V6 mods?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    2kGalantES

3.0L V6 mods?

I want better performance...I am new to the import world, and i dont really know whats out there for an engine like mine.. What kind of stuff would be more bang for the buck?
    bigger injectors, headers, intake, cat-back? what? if you guys can help me out with some links and/or information that would be awsome..
    Thanks

first...where in il are ya? i'm in the peoria area....

to answer your question...as of now...you can do pretty much whatever you want to our car...as they are the same engine as a 2000-2005 eclipse v6....

air intakes, headers, cat-back exhaust....probably good starters...but you wont see any real gains until you go turbo, or supercharger...or nitrous...

air intake...injen, aem
    headers.... ripp, rpw, kamikaze, DC sports (i think)
    cat-back....(custom is probably cheapest) greddy, hks, maybe dynomax or magnaflow? (i think dynomax might have stopped production)

and before some assbag gets the chance to yell and call you a n00b...click the search and fool around with it...it will become your best friend around here...trust me
    President Team DNA IL Chapter
    [email protected]
    www.dnaracing.net

Oh yeah get a 2.5 inch cat-back from meineke and if you have the muffler its like 150-160.

Just got mine done today, I bought a OBX racing muffler from ebay for like 43+20 shipping not to bad. They retail for about 120+, anyways sounds really nice on the V6. Not too loud but nice and noticable, Plus the power increase you can really feel with a nice CAI or short ram.

Interestingly enough It felt like I had more low end power with the silencer on and the baffle in it open. Its a nice silencer that you can open or close or completely remove, but always sounds better with it off
    -01 LS V6 Mods: FOR SALE 8.6k 71k miles. Short Ram CAI, 2.5'' Custom Cat-back with OBX muffler, DEH3700Mp Pioneer Headunit w/12inch MTX subs. Daily driver For
    -99 3000gt VR-4 #184 of 287.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Agent|THC)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh yeah get a 2.5 inch cat-back from meineke and if you have the muffler its like 150-160. Â*

Just got mine done today, I bought a OBX racing muffler from ebay for like 43+20 shipping not to bad. They retail for about 120+, anyways sounds really nice on the V6. Not too loud but nice and noticable, Plus the power increase you can really feel with a nice CAI or short ram.

Interestingly enough It felt like I had more low end power with the silencer on and the baffle in it open. Its a nice silencer that you can open or close or completely remove, but always sounds better with it off </div>

reason for the extra low-end is because since our cars are n/a they need a good amount of backpressure to keep the low-end torque
    President Team DNA IL Chapter
    [email protected]
    www.dnaracing.net

id keep the stock piping, just replace the muffler....

i've got a custom intake, muffler and downpipes and ran 15.6 in my 01' v6
    [email protected] <- '01 ES V6 (detuned for daily commutes)

Black '94 Audi S4 soon RS2'd running 28 psi
    Chipset [X]|Injectors[X]|Turbo[X]|RS2 Manifold[X]|Bosch 3-BAR MAP[X]

Experienced TGC Member
    It all comes down to what you want to do. The most basic question is what are you goals (in terms of overall performance)? You can end up throwing away a lot of money if you don't have some clear goals set.

You have a lot of options in front of you to choose from. Best bang for the buck would have to be nitrous. No question about it. $700 can net you unbelievable gains (albiet short-term gains).

edit: Basicly everything silver listed would fall under "best bang for the buck". Though the total money you spend on all the parts could get you started on a turbo kit.

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'> Best bang for the buck would have to be nitrous. Â*No question about it. Â*$700 can net you unbelievable gains (albiet short-term gains).</div> but also "short term" problems if any with nitrous(unless with blown motor). if turbo, your stuck with the problem if any. there is both plus's and minus's with both. whatever your weapon of choice, be sure eto reaserch it first!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FRCFD6)</div><div class='quotemain'>id keep the stock piping, just replace the muffler....

i've got a custom intake, muffler and Â*downpipes and ran 15.6 in my 01' v6</div>

is that just for the v6 b/c i was told just replacing the muffler was only for show

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krispy03)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'> Best bang for the buck would have to be nitrous. Â*No question about it. Â*$700 can net you unbelievable gains (albiet short-term gains).</div> but also "short term" problems if any with nitrous(unless with blown motor). if turbo, your stuck with the problem if any. there is both plus's and minus's with both. whatever your weapon of choice, be sure eto reaserch it first!</div>

True, I dont think EGTs of 1200+ will do anything to bad to the motor since you will only see it for a few seconds, where with the turbo you HAVE to get that fixed or you will have a window in your block.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SPEEDDEMON03)</div><div class='quotemain'>is that just for the v6 b/c i was told just replacing the muffler was only for show</div>

On a stock/near stock application our mufflers tend to flow pretty well. In fact I know of atleast one person who is using the stock muffler with the supercharger.