The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brake pad, brake rotor, vibration

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    bibip

Brake pad, brake rotor, vibration

I got a 2003 Galant with 36k, and I have noticed that the brakes are shaking when I start braking from speed above 45MPH.
    I read in a couple of posts that it may be coming from my brake rotors that are warped. Also my mechanics told me that my front brake pads are almost worn out (I think he told me that I have 6/32" while the minimum required is 2/32", hence I can still use them fore a couple of months).

My questions are: can the vibration be coming from my brake pads as well? Or is it only coming from my rotors? Is it dangerous to drive with a warped rotor? Or I can still use it the way it is? If I have to replace them, how much would it be (I am not skilled enough to replace them by themself, I ll have to bring it to the mechanics).

Thanks!

my mechanic charges me an hour or two of labor if i bring in the parts myself. if he uses his own parts labor is gonna be cheaper but its gonna sohot me back when he over charges me for parts.

but yea, if the vibrations are coming from the rotors, then don't even wory about the pads cuz if you cut the rotors or even get them replaced, the pads have to be replaced also.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

bibip

The vibrations only occurs when the brakes are hot

I dont have the vibrations all the time, only when I use the brakes a lot. Is it still ok to keep the brakes the way they are? or should I replace them?

bibip, the brake service is probably the most simple service you can do yourself. All you need is a jack and stands. When I did it the first time (it was actually my first "mechanic" work after almost 20 years break (used to race a bike when I was 15 )) it took me about an hour and a half for both wheels and this time include putting the car on stands :-) And to answer your original question: no replacing just pads won't solve your problem, also in my case yet another source of vibrations were by rear drums.

Good luck, Iouri

oc4

slotted/drilled rotors

Hey folks! i'm new to TGC and was trying to find out some info about the 8G galant brakes- i know about the bad design flaw w/ them and i'm looking to get new rotors/pads soon - i'm trying to find out if it will benefit me to go w/ slotted/drilled rotors as opposed to sticking w/ regular ones - does anyone know if it will even make a difference?