The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How does my Tranny mount look?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    Experienced TGC Member

How does my Tranny mount look?

TWO (2, II, 10) years ago I posted this thread:
    Horrible Sound Coming From My Car - Soundclip

Finally TWO (2, II, 10) years later, I found the solution. Turns out my tranny mount was slightly worn out (I'm reffering to the one on the right):

This is EXACTLY how it was when it came out. Fell apart as soon I turned it sideways...

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Meh it will buff out. SHould have just gotten the poly inserts, probably cheaper for the whole set then what you paid for that single mount
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Meh it will buff out. SHould have just gotten the poly inserts, probably cheaper for the whole set then what you paid for that single mount
    Probably would have been, but after I zeroed in on the problem (with the help of a very reluctant dealershit salesfag) I didn't even think about buying anything but stock. Just wanted it GONE asap.

But damn, I didn't expect it to be this bad. lol

you have a recent link to the sound clip? i want to hear it again. i think i have the same problem.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    you have a recent link to the sound clip? i want to hear it again. i think i have the same problem.
    Unforunetly I can't say I do. Though the sound itself is very distinct as it originates from DIRECTLY under the battery. Theirs no mistaking its location as it can be VERY loud and crystal clear.

The easiest thing I did was get a friend to move the shifter from N to D and back. Ever shift it would creak.

The actual sound I posted in that previous thread turned out to be a bad sprocket bearing on one of the cam gears. Though the funny thing is that I know I had the tranny sound back then as well. Just never got around to fixing it.

In the end, the only way I was able to diagnose both problems is by having a friend listen from where it was coming form.

BTW I should point out that changing the tranny mount is in itself quite easy. Removing the rear motor mount is a bitch. After I spent nearly 2 hours trying to remove the rear mount (bad set of tools), I found out that the front mount had to be removed as well (this is done in order to let the tranny side of the engine drop low enough to remove the mount). So being in the bad mood I was, I opted to cut the massive 17mm 4 tranny bolts in half, so the mount could simply slide out. Worked like a charm.

that sounds like my problem. deyeme racing has a tutorial on how to change the mount so i should be covered there. I was wondering how much did hte mount that you got ran you. just tryna compare the prices on my options.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    that sounds like my problem. deyeme racing has a tutorial on how to change the mount so i should be covered there. I was wondering how much did hte mount that you got ran you. just tryna compare the prices on my options.
    Well the dealershit was trying to charge 120, though I got it from this website for about $80 shipped: Rey Reece VW/Mistubishi Parts

Also while the disassembly/install is VERY straight foward, the bolts that hold in the front and rear engine mounts are straight torqued to rediclous specs. The thing is, they don't get any easier to turn after the initial torqing (unlike about 99% of the bolts on the car). It requires a constant high-pressure till the very last thread. And taking into account all the hoses and lines, using a cheater bar, is for the most part out of the question.

And that is why I opted to shorten the bolts. Dremel is god.

thanks for the tip.

im still deciding if i should get the prothane kit or if i should get the tranny mount from deyeme and the front and rear mounts from energy suspension. im on a limited budget but since i have to get the front and rear mount out, might as well change them.