The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tranny prob why?

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    dailyg

tranny prob why?

Almost everyone has had problems with their auto trannys.Does anyone know whats the weak point in the tranny. Can it be fixed/improved during a rebuild. Whats the weak link in transmission that causes it to fail. Regular rebuilds only give a 12 month 12k mile warranty.is it really worth it.

they just completly suck! theres a guy on here that had 4 new trannys on the same car. Just do the 5 speed swap, and be done with it. Probably even cheaper then getting a new tranny.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunter
    Probably even cheaper then getting a new tranny.
    aamco charged me $2,100 to rebuild my auto tranny. they took my auto tranny and gave me back this piece of shit that looked like my auto tranny. i did the tranny swap for $1,500. i hope aamco goes out of business.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

i hope aamco goes out of business.

You and me both.

About the Auto tranny. It is a pile of garbage. Do the 5 speed swap if you can, if you insist on your car staying auto you could try the level 10 rebuild. I don't know anyone on here who has done it though.

dailyg
    Places in my area are asking for around 12 to 1500 dollars. As far as the 5 speed swap i cant do it myself since i dont even have a drive way. I f there was a shop i would gladly pay them a reasonable amount. I am in alabama. Somebody said there are shops in neworleans but i dont know how much they will charge.

i have a 5 speed swap that ill part with, let me know if you want it
    TEAM GENESIS

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    you how much for the swap you got and what setup is it? I was looking for a direct bolt 95 M/T

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

700 shipped

includes new clutch, new flywheel, ,<<well to make it short, everything besides clutch master cylinder and starter
    TEAM GENESIS

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Kool, will keep that in mind, trying to do the swap over the winter.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

not sure how you all manage to kill transmissions so easily.. Ive never fried even ONE in my 37 cars, which I beat fairly badly (within reason... I find no reason to do stupid shit like 6 grand nuetral drops). and about 6 of those were mitsus. Hell, my current car is a mitsu.

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    not sure how you all manage to kill transmissions so easily.. Ive never fried even ONE in my 37 cars, which I beat fairly badly (within reason... I find no reason to do stupid shit like 6 grand nuetral drops). and about 6 of those were mitsus. Hell, my current car is a mitsu.
    I don't know about the other Mitsus but I know the 7g tranny is a pile. I've talked to a couple of the dealership mechanics in my city and they told me that they have seen a lot of 7th generation galants with bad transmissions.

monkeyracer
    Definitely go 5 Speed, I have had a problem with my oem 5 speed, but only after 100K and 60K of that was rough driving.

I have heard all over the place that the 7G auto was one of the least reliable that the three diamonds ever made. A lot of what I heard was that they go out right after the 60K warranty, when a dealer won't do shit to fix it.

I had a 5 speed completely replaced in my car for only $1500. It would seem less expensive to fix down the road too, at least if someone is charging $2100 to fix an auto.

Quote Originally Posted by bradley1997
    I don't know about the other Mitsus but I know the 7g tranny is a pile. I've talked to a couple of the dealership mechanics in my city and they told me that they have seen a lot of 7th generation galants with bad transmissions.
    nothing wrong with the 7th gen trans.. in fact, its the same basic trans used for for every galant since its introduction in this country until 99.
    most trans failures still come from owner abuse and/or neglect.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracer
    It would seem less expensive to fix down the road too, at least if someone is charging $2100 to fix an auto.
    yeah, i think manual transmissions are a lot cheaper and easier to rebuild. dsm guys rebuild their own 5spd transmissions in their garage. it can't be that hard.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

nothing wrong with the 7th gen trans.. in fact, its the same basic trans used for for every galant since its introduction in this country until 99.
    I must agree with manybrews, my wife's 98 galant has 140,000 miles and the transmission has NEVER given any problems. We bought the car with 77K miles. I immediately changed the trans. fluid and filter, and have been doing so every 30K miles (per manual instructions).
    I wonder how often everyone else changes the fluid and filter (if at all).
    1998 Galant 178k miles Automatic
    1996 Galant 170k miles Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by pesuazo
    I must agree with manybrews, my wife's 98 galant has 140,000 miles and the transmission has NEVER given any problems. We bought the car with 77K miles. I immediately changed the trans. fluid and filter, and have been doing so every 30K miles (per manual instructions).
    I wonder how often everyone else changes the fluid and filter (if at all).
    probably never.

its amazing what reading the manual can do for a car.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    The a/t transmissions aren't that bad...but I believe the cooling lines for the A/T trannies are bad which make them run hot which kills the A/T trannies. Otherwise...if you regularly change the fluid as recommended they should last. When I had my 95 Galant...I will admit I treated the A/T like CRAP, manual shifting and NEVER doing a A/T flush just 2 drain and fills and it finally crapped out at 110,000 miles. The things you learn from your mistakes...changing your fluids will make a world of a difference for your car.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

the4starish
    where did u go that places were only quoting your for 12-15 for a rebuild. I've been quoted nothing less that 21.