The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How many 8g galants swapped to manual?(General info)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 31 of 31
    theblackpearl
    all i have left to buy are the little nuts an bolts then me and my friend can start on the swap..ive bought all new parts and have a tranny with 15k on it. cant wait..

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Meh the most difficult bolts to get off on a 5spd are the flywheel bolts. I never took off the torque converter on my auto so not sure on that. But the hardest bolts to install are yet again the flywheel bolts. Try torquing them to 100ftlbs while the crank is trying to move with each turn. Have to make a tool, but its cake.

For the 7g the hardest part was cutting the hole in the firewall for the master cylinder, just because its an awkward angle and there is no room to move the dremmel around.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Meh the most difficult bolts to get off on a 5spd are the flywheel bolts. I never took off the torque converter on my auto so not sure on that. But the hardest bolts to install are yet again the flywheel bolts. Try torquing them to 100ftlbs while the crank is trying to move with each turn. Have to make a tool, but its cake.

For the 7g the hardest part was cutting the hole in the firewall for the master cylinder, just because its an awkward angle and there is no room to move the dremmel around.
    by far the two hardest parts of the swap
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent|THC
    Thats what I plan on doing if I get it done myself, then I will feel like I've truly accomplished something here other then trying to be funny

Hence this thread
    Sorry I missed this thread, havent been around in a lil while. First off, I have done 4, 8g 5 speed swaps, and I helped Roni and 8ggalant (kevin) over the phone while doing their swaps.

You dont need any different axles for the I4, im not sure about the V6, all the cars I have done are I4. The stock starter and starter plate transer over from the auto to the manual. One thing I remember needing were the bolts that hold the the flywheel to the crank. The ones for the 5 speed are longer because the flywheel is thinker then the stock flexplate found on the auto tranny.

Parts you need:

5 speed tranny
    Transmission mount (from a 5 speed car)
    Clutch Master Cylinder
    Clutch Slave cylinder
    Fluid Resevoir (get the hoses from the res to the master and from master to the slave, if you get them all from the same junk yard its easier)
    Clutch (get a new one, dont be cheap)
    Flywheel (get the stock one resurfaced) if you get an aftermarket flywheel for a 4 cylinder it uses the same one for the 95-99 7 bolt FWD turbo eclipse, however YOU WILL ALSO NEED THE STARTER from that same turbo eclipse, if you go that route, you need to space the starter off the bellhousing of the tranny with a 5/32" washer, one for each bolt, if you dont use the washer, when the starter engages it will hit the inside of the bellhousing and crack it, trust me I KNOW, I ALREADY BROKE ONE !!

you need the bolts that hold the clutch to the flywheel

throw out bearing

shiter cables

shifter

clutch pedal

Brake pedal from a 5 speed car, its smaller (you can opt to keep the stock brake pedal and use a dremel to cut it down to the same size as the 5 speed one, it only takes about 2 mins to cut it)

I think thats all, if you have any other questions, post here or PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Thx stewi, thats some great info!

I really can't wait to acquire the rest of the parts, as school is priority at the moment, but great stuff man
    -01 LS V6 Mods: FOR SALE 8.6k 71k miles. Short Ram CAI, 2.5'' Custom Cat-back with OBX muffler, DEH3700Mp Pioneer Headunit w/12inch MTX subs. Daily driver For
    -99 3000gt VR-4 #184 of 287.

theblackpearl
    dude thats soooo helpful you dont even know..thanks man pm sent by the way

theblackpearl
    another question...

would this flywheel require a new starter? and is this flywheel even worht buying?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clutchmaste...sspagenameZWDVW

Xska55
    not to sure about that one i just checked clutchmasters website and that part # isnt listed under any mitsu models,,, http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?page=sh...28512&MakeID=89
    just get the 2nd gen flywheel and youll be ok,, thats what all the 3g guys use and theres probaly a groupbuy going over there too through import parts plus i think, or better yet call up clutchmasters and ask them what the deal is

Something I just remembered seeing from 3g forums.

When 8ggalant swapped his to manual, he said he was throwing the ses light. Wouldn't that send the ecu into limp home mode and lose all potential power gains? Or is that something rare that happened with his swap, cause I know you said you did 4 of em, right stewi? and none threw a ses?
    -01 LS V6 Mods: FOR SALE 8.6k 71k miles. Short Ram CAI, 2.5'' Custom Cat-back with OBX muffler, DEH3700Mp Pioneer Headunit w/12inch MTX subs. Daily driver For
    -99 3000gt VR-4 #184 of 287.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    a check engine light shouldn't throw the engine into limp mode unless it pertains to something performance related (o2 sensor, timing, etc)

but then again, there's a lot of assbackwards things on cars

if you do throw a CEL, get it scanned and see what's up.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

theblackpearl
    my ses light has been on ever since i put my header on..messed up my o2 sensors but my g isnt really running bad..knock on wood...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12