The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Input Needed

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    blacknsilver96

Input Needed

Whats up every1, I am currently in Iraq and getting ready to gome home. I want to make my 7g faster, but I am stuck on what I should do. I can't decide if I should swap out for a 63t or throw on a 1g head and turbo it. I posted a thread on oil burn and I don't think I should turbo my engine if its internals are shot. I don't know if I could manage the63t swap myself, I have alot of experience with big block chevy's (my old man collects vette's and has like 15 350's we tore down and rebuilt), but I have no experience with turbo's and have not taken any advanced mechanics classes (I have done tons of research though and understand the setup, I consider myself to be mechanically inclined). I know how expensive it would be to rebuild the 64 to handle the turbo power and think it would be better for the swap, but time, difficulty, experience and money play a big factor.

I cannot decide which route to go, I am also thinking of selling my 96 and stepping up to a 8g with the 3.0; is that the mitsu (3000gt block), or a chrsyler peice of junk? If its the mitsu; TT or supercharge? I love my 96, but it just hit 100k b4 I deployed and I think it would be a good idea to start fresh with a new ride and a drivetrain with less miles; but I have decided I need to have a 5spd; I cannot stand driving this auto tranny ne more. As you can see, I am totally undecided- pls give any insight and suggestions you have.

Experienced TGC Member

Re: Input Needed

Quote Originally Posted by blacknsilver96
    Whats up every1, I am currently in Iraq and getting ready to gome home. I want to make my 7g faster, but I am stuck on what I should do. I can't decide if I should swap out for a 63t or throw on a 1g head and turbo it. I posted a thread on oil burn and I don't think I should turbo my engine if its internals are shot. I don't know if I could manage the63t swap myself, I have alot of experience with big block chevy's (my old man collects vette's and has like 15 350's we tore down and rebuilt), but I have no experience with turbo's and have not taken any advanced mechanics classes (I have done tons of research though and understand the setup, I consider myself to be mechanically inclined). I know how expensive it would be to rebuild the 64 to handle the turbo power and think it would be better for the swap, but time, difficulty, experience and money play a big factor.

I cannot decide which route to go, I am also thinking of selling my 96 and stepping up to a 8g with the 3.0; is that the mitsu (3000gt block), or a chrsyler peice of junk? If its the mitsu; TT or supercharge? I love my 96, but it just hit 100k b4 I deployed and I think it would be a good idea to start fresh with a new ride and a drivetrain with less miles; but I have decided I need to have a 5spd; I cannot stand driving this auto tranny ne more. As you can see, I am totally undecided- pls give any insight and suggestions you have.
    Hey bro, glad to hear your coming home safe.

So I take it you will have quite a bit of money saved up right? Personally I suggest the 63t swap. I've heard that the 64+63 head equals increased compression. I imagine thats not really a good thing on stock 64 pistons.

Also if you do go up to an 8G, I personally would NOT get the 3L (even though I have one now). It is in fact a Chrysler/Mitsu forklift motor (...seriously ). The biggest weakpoint of the 3L is the brittle pistons & tight ring gap. Other than that its not too bad. Though the very fact that you can simply swap out a 63t into the I4, makes it much more preferable.

The 6G72 does not come blown or boosted. It is a 24v SOHC w/9:1 compression (the 3kGT/Stealth SOHC V6 is 12V). There are two main forced induction vendors for this motor right now. They are Ripp (supercharger) and Tearstone (turbocharger). Both systems are expensive (5-6 grand).

Overall, it sounds like you have way more than enough know-how to take the swap on yourself (or with your dads help). I don't think you need a super thorough knowledge of turbocharger operation if your simply swapping motors.

Good luck man.

i will personally suggest dual rolls royce turbo-jet engine setup. probably the larget turbo you can bolt to a 8th gen.
    i think seth has a picture of a guy that did it. Ask him. he might have to dig it up in from his files. Pretty awesome!!!
    aw man the spool up is unreal too!

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

why not try to find a 7g or 8g vr4 to bring back with you?
    that would rock

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCSTUNR
    i will personally suggest dual rolls royce turbo-jet engine setup. probably the larget turbo you can bolt to a 8th gen.
    i think seth has a picture of a guy that did it. Ask him. he might have to dig it up in from his files. Pretty awesome!!!
    aw man the spool up is unreal too!
    Wasn't it on a 3G? I wonder what his EGTs are.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCSTUNR
    why not try to find a 7g or 8g vr4 to bring back with you?
    that would rock
    Ya didnt the police drive 8Gs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black

Wasn't it on a 3G? I wonder what his EGTs are.
    lol

we are such car nerds

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

yea. try to bring a world spec 8g over. check saudi arabia, i think they have left hand drive jdm galants.

Ya, bring back a VR4 Galant - got everything you are looking for (TT, AWD, available in manual)

blacknsilver96
    Yea, I wish I could. Unfortunately, we are only "authorized" 1 carry on, I don't think I can fit a 8g VR4 in my bag. I wish I could. I prob can't afford that neway, all the import and regulation fees. If I was stationed in germany or anywhere overseas; I definitely will.

i thouhgt that if youre a service man, youre allowed to import a vehicle over free of charge if you bought it overseas. the govt takes care of all the importing fees and paperwork. u just gotta make it street legal

blacknsilver96
    This is true, but only for a PCS back to the states off of a permanent duty assignment. The car would also have to be from the same country I am assigned to. Plus I am just fucked b/c Iraq (deployments) and Afganistan are just temporary duty assignments, so I am not "authorized" movement of POV's (Personally Owned Vehicles). :evil: