The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Folding Key?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Jimbo

Folding Key?

I love the folding ignition keys that some Mercedes and Jettas have, would it be possible to get one for the galant? here is a pic of what im talking about...

its kind of small, and hard to see but i really like it. Any ideas?

99GalantOn18s

butterfly style

weapon-r makes a butterfly style key in brushed aluminum, in like 5 colors

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    i think unless its made by mitsu, i would forget about it, with out the chip that is connected to the key your engine wont start

just FYI, Mercedes dont use that kind of key anymore, they use only the transmiter to start the engine , the key is only use for Valet key !!
    Sex is when a guys information
    enters a girls communication
    to increase the population
    for a younger generation
    do you get the information...
    or do you need a demonstration ??

Jimbo
    Quote Originally Posted by domielover
    i think unless its made by mitsu, i would forget about it, with out the chip that is connected to the key your engine wont start
    what chip? are you saying that my car wont start if i dont have the door lock remote? How is that possible? Someone must make something like this, i wasnt too crazy about the butterfly thing. here is a better pic of one, but i still havent found a big picture...

No, what he's saying is that your key has a microchip imbedded in it. and if you try and start your car without it, it won't start. Thats why you can't get your key duplicated at Home Depot or KMart. You know that black book they give you when you buy your car? I think it says "Owner's Manual" on the front or something....you might try reading that.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Jimbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    No, what he's saying is that your key has a microchip imbedded in it. and if you try and start your car without it, it won't start. Thats why you can't get your key duplicated at Home Depot or KMart. You know that black book they give you when you buy your car? I think it says "Owner's Manual" on the front or something....you might try reading that.

Chip
    man, i didnt realize that our keys were so high tech. Is each microchip specific to each galant? For example, ive seen "uncut" galant keys on ebay. If I bought one of those, copied it to my key, then cut off the black handle and made my own box, technically, would it work? I know that sounds like a bitch to do but still, thats the type of mod that I like because even if you screw up, nothing bad happens to you car. Lemme know what you guys think and give me some suggestions on how to do this if you think it will work. Thanks,

james

The chip itself using a Radio freq, and i suppose if you attach the key to the chip DIRECTLY it supposed to work, but how r u gonna do this ?? i really couldn't imagine how u gonna attach that Chip to a new key ?? seems impossible to me.

PS: You could actually start your engine with Regular key without the chip but u have to put that 4 digit Immobilizer Overide Code and it only works 3 times, and after that u're a goner actually thats only for emergency
    Sex is when a guys information
    enters a girls communication
    to increase the population
    for a younger generation
    do you get the information...
    or do you need a demonstration ??

GalantLadie
    if u bought one of those "uncut" keys off ebay i believe you would have to take it to mitsu to have it programed for ur car

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    where i parked my garage they lost one of my keys, no here is the thing the 1999 galant does not have a transponder in the key, 2000 and up do. if you have a 2000 and up the key will cost 45 dollars from the dealer, you have to get that key cut. once you get the key cut you have to have ALL your keys programed. well the garage that lost my key had to pay for it in my area one hour labor change is 79 dollars and hour. so to program the keys it takes about 150 bucks, what a fucking rip off

first of all let me say, the key for my GTi is so bulky. i don't like it. u know that folding key u guys reallly like. and remember its gonna cost a buttload to replace...remember its not just a key, its your key fob too.

speaking of key fobs, i like the mitsu key that they are using overseas. it looks like a normal key but the buttons for the key fob and such are built into a regular sized key head...looks like a regular key with buttons on the head

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.