The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: LEDs

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

LEDs

I just LED-modded my front turning signals yesterday. They look cool and all, superwhite and all LED-ish, but it's not very bright. In the daytime, you can barely see it at all. I only used one LED because it's all I had (I robbed the LEDs off of little keychain flashlights, yes, ghetto, I know). When the LEDs were on the flashlights, I took the turning signal assembly off the car, stuck the flashlight inside and turned it on. It looked bright as hell. So, I ordered 12 volt resistors off the internet (you need these otherwise they'd blow up as soon as power goes through them), I ripped the LED off the flashlight, soldered wire onto it respectively and rigged it into the signal assembly. The result was a perfectly working, but awfully dull light. The LED shines no where NEAR as bright as it did before, and before all it ran off of was three of those really, really, small watch batteries.

So my question is:

Do any of you Galant Gurus know of specific LEDs that are meant to run off of a 12 volt car battery and are bright as the sun?

Thanks, and if you wish, I'll post pics.

BMW owner. Galant fanatic.

its much easier to get some raw led's from a place like ledtronics, or ebay or even your local radio shack.

speaking of radio shack, you can get the resistors there for like under a buck for a pack of 5

but in all essence, you could just have bought the led bulbs on ebay. i bought some 194 bulbs, and they ran about a buck a pop shipped. that would work great IMO for the parking lights on the 7g.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

what i would do is get a led board that fit into the bottom turn signals and wire that up.
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

like this
    or this

here is some 1156 led bulbs for the turn signals

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-SUPER-AMB...000052668QQrdZ1

pretty cheap IMO considering how much time and money it owuld be to make them yourself.

but with that said, if you do put led's into the turn signals, you are gonna need some sort of load resistor so that you don't have that hyper flash blinking from the bulb due to the low curent draw of the led's

damn we posted at the same time

Well, actually, I did buy 10 blue LEDs from Ebay for $3 and they came with the resistors, but it turns out they really sucked. I was going to do the blue LED headlight mod, but yeah the LEDs were embarassingly dull.

Also, with the turning signal, the way I avoided the hyper flash was (you're going to laugh) was I rigged the wires from the LED into the turning signal harness, and then I put the regular bulb into the plug and tucked it away underneather the car. The result was a hyper-white LED turning signal with a complimentary blue flashing under the car :twisted:

It actually doesn't look too bad, but either way, it's ghetto rigged. Those LED boards are frickin' AWESOME though! I want those! Do they need resistors too or is it built into the board?

*searches Ebay*

Thanks for the help guys.

if you buy led's on a circuit board like that they should tell you what voltage they run at.

Hey Chris, check out www.oznium.com and ask around on the forum, there are a lot of people on there that are knowledgeable about this sorta stuff. And I have seen a few people on there that have done projects just like this one.
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Thank you.

Thank you.

EDIT: Woops, sorry.