The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: header install on 8g

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

header install on 8g

I am beginning the process of installing some headers on my car. My dad was bitching and moaning at me saying I should return them bc some guy he knows thinks you need to pull the motor to install them.

Questions is, can someone tell me how you get to the back set of headers?

Do you have to remove the intake manifold or?

Haha just send me in the right direction.
    I was hoping you could get to them from just underneath the car, but havn't looked under there yet. my dad said he couldnt even see them. He has done alot of work on cars before, so I dont know.

Thanks,
    Brian

Experienced TGC Member
    You can get to the back exhaust manifold without removing the intake plenum. Though it thats much harder. Removing the plenum is pretty straight foward, though time consuming.

Also you do NOT have to remove the motor to install the headers. Just jack the front of the car as high as possible.

Well wish me luck, I'm gonna work on it tomorrow. Hopefully I won't die. Fuck I wish we still had our lift.

My Father helped me install my V6 headers and we managed to reach all of the nuts of the rear manifold without taking anything off, but it was a bitch. Not only were they hard to get to, but they were rusted pretty badly. Putting the new headers on was fairly easy though.

I decided to let a family friend do the job for dirt ass cheap. He is a professional mechanic and said he would do it for alot alot less than normal charge.

I'll let you guys know how it goes + pics.

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    damn im glad i got an i4. though to install the DC sport header i had to drain and lift the raidiator.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>My Father helped me install my V6 headers and we managed to reach all of the nuts of the rear manifold without taking anything off, but it was a bitch. Not only were they hard to get to, but they were rusted pretty badly. Putting the new headers on was fairly easy though.</div> Where'd you get your V6 headers? What brand? Where can I get the best deal? I would assume the only way to go is with ceramic coated ones,like I have on my Vette?
    '99 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 3.0V6,black/grey ;'79 Chevy Corvette Coupe SBC 350,red/blk.;'78 Olds Cutlass,SBO 350,blue/beige;1984 Chevy El Camino Conquista

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krispy03)</div><div class='quotemain'>damn im glad i got an i4. though to install the DC sport header i had to drain and lift the raidiator.
    </div>

damn u had to do all that I didnt remove anything for the CMF header, except the old POS stock header,CMF baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2004 Nissan Maxima3.5 V6 DOHC

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    *sorry to go off topic*

see the header itself? thats a bitch to manover that thing through.

though while removing them the other day, i had to come up from by the support frame

ok i see now damn das crazy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maximus99)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>My Father helped me install my V6 headers and we managed to reach all of the nuts of the rear manifold without taking anything off, but it was a bitch. Not only were they hard to get to, but they were rusted pretty badly. Putting the new headers on was fairly easy though.</div> Where'd you get your V6 headers? What brand? Where can I get the best deal? I would assume the only way to go is with ceramic coated ones,like I have on my Vette?</div>
    I bought the 2005 version RIPP headers. The only place to get them new is from RIPP Modifications themselves and they aren't cheap. They are Jet Hot coated, they come with a high flow cat, and all of the 02 bungs are in the right places. You'll have to extend the 02 sensor wires though. If you check on www.club3g.com and www.neweclipse.org you can probably find a used set for a decent price. I'd make sure they are the 2005 version.

I think you covered this before,but if I try there I guess I need to know what years of V6 Eclipses headers will fit my 99 Galant? Thanks 4 the info...
    '99 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ 3.0V6,black/grey ;'79 Chevy Corvette Coupe SBC 350,red/blk.;'78 Olds Cutlass,SBO 350,blue/beige;1984 Chevy El Camino Conquista

i don't think they make headers yet for the 4g, someone correct me if im wrong, so that pretty much means any of the eclipse's v6 headers right now will fit the galant.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

OK,thanx. I thought there might be a difference in length or something

I should be getting my car back very soon.

Do I have to run some 02 sims? I have the CMF headers, and can't find dick on their forums, seems like they delete all the actual questions.

Well they say it 150% bolt-on, so I assumed it wouldn't throw any lights or need to extend the 02 wires.

I guess i'll find out one way or another. If anyone has the CMF headers (new design I guess), lemme know whats up.

you have to extend the header 02 sensor, just detach that lil clip that clips into a lil bracket and pull it down. other than that yes it bolts straight up no problems whatsoever, i put a hi-flo cat in also, so u can think about that. just make sure both your o2 sensors are clean and tighten down, or else you will throw a SES light.

this is the only good pic i have that shows where i extended the o2 sensor, see the wire under the radiator hose.

That 02 sensor wire looks like it's draped over your header. That's not good. The header will get too hot and might melt the wire.

Without a catalytic converter of some sort and the 02 sensors before and after the cat, I can't imagine that you could run the CMF header too long before throwing a light. If a light does come on and you don't want to install a cat, you will need an 02 sim.

I got the headers on (CMF), well not me, but my mechanic. Anyway I am getting a loud almost whistle noise at say 50% + throttle. Is it just the Razzzzz noise people talk about, or is it a leak. It is loud enough that I can hear it in the cabin, and it is high pitched. Kinda like a blower whine (the bad sounding kind). I have all stock from header back. I was thinking about telling them to check it for leaks when I get the cat back and hi-flow cat on (but not sure when that'll be). Anyway I was just wondering if this is normal, and if it is a leak how much you reakon' it'll cost to fix. My father is a welder so maybe I can enlist him to do it.

I will prolly tell them to throw a resinator, highflow cat and decent muffler on there. Unfortunatly I dont have the money to waste before xmas.

I reset the ECU, and threw a light after driving about 100 miles. Where can I pick up an 02 sim. Or directions on making one (I think it's just a resistor).

Thanks,
    Brian