The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Intake Manifold Porting

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    Galant98ES

Intake Manifold Porting

I was wondering if anyone has ported their intake manifold on a 4g64 7g?
    Would there be any "consequences"? And since it increases air flow, do you need SAFC for that?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I ported the throttle body opening on my old intake manifold to 60mm. Not sure if I noticed a difference, I threw on a 1g 60mm tb at the same time. You can port the tb inlet and the ports for the head but everything else is too tight, would need to be extruded/honed.
    7g for life!

Galant98ES
    So, in other words, it's not really worth it.

you can do some google searches on acid porting.

you basically bolt your manifold to a plank of wood so it won't leak, then fill the manifodl with muriatic acid(get it at home depotused for cleaning brick and various other things)
    the acid slowly eats away at the aluminum,
    then you drain it out. after a determined amount of time.
    then rinse.
    the results are perfectly smooth runners and plenum, no more casting flash,
    also it opens up the ports a little too.

i've always wanted to try it, but really never had the need to cause i just bought a better manifold.

however, in your case you would see a better gain from a 60mm throttle body. better throttle response at the least.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Galant98ES
    You mean something like a 2g tb or...?

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    yeah what manifold did you get? Stunr

i got the manifold that came with my jdm engine.
    its a cyclone manifold.
    has two sets of runners, and a vacuum actuator thats driven by mey ecu that controls when the runners oopen up,

pretty much like honda has in the integra type r's.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    k that's enough said...... how was the mounting of the jdm 4g63 on ur g? my wife's step dad has an 4g63 engine from an eagle talon and from a 1st gen eclipse both jdms. also the jdm 94 galant but blown block. i could get one of these he said but not sure of the mounting. i asked him for the cyclone itself and machine chop it to fit my tini tiny 4g64 head but didn't think having a cyclone would do enough with a sohc. but how were ur mounting?

Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    k that's enough said...... how was the mounting of the jdm 4g63 on ur g? my wife's step dad has an 4g63 engine from an eagle talon and from a 1st gen eclipse both jdms. also the jdm 94 galant but blown block. i could get one of these he said but not sure of the mounting. i asked him for the cyclone itself and machine chop it to fit my tini tiny 4g64 head but didn't think having a cyclone would do enough with a sohc. but how were ur mounting?
    in the 7g's it is a direct bolt in, no modifications
    just some wiring, plumbing the turbosystem, and buying all the parts.
    there are a few threads on the 4g63t swap. just do a search and they should come up. some of them are stickies actually.

lets get back on topic

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    like seth said, you might see minimal gains, but the head and header would have to be opened up as well, top end flow can yield some good results...
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Galant98ES
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    like seth said, you might see minimal gains, but the head and header would have to be opened up as well, top end flow can yield some good results...
    I ported my manifold, O2 housing, and turbo inlet already. I thought while I'm still getting the rest of the parts I could get that done. I might post some pix of the port job
    The main reason for asking about intake manifold porting is because I was reading some stuff online and people say they gained some power from that.

You do see some gains from porting of the IM, but the real restriction on the SOHC 4g64 is the pathetic stock cam. The main thing to remember is that any the air pump is only efficient as it's most restrictive point. So, you can put on a high flow intake, 60mm TB, port the IM, Port the head, high flow cat, high flow muffler and still have a restrictive cam rendering all of the above useless. With all of the requisite intake enlargement, I'd say you're gonna plateau at about a 20-25 hp gain.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.