The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear brake conversion Complete!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 38 of 38
    Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    does the v6 gs have rear disc brakes? or we have to get em only from the exlps?

either get it from a galant gtz or any eclipse v6, only the v6 models have them
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'>either get it from a galant gtz or any eclipse v6, only the v6 models have them</div>

Thats wrong. They did offer rear discs on a few non V6 3g's but they are hard to come by. Guys I had a friend at mitsu run the part#'s on the major rear disc parts, calipers, rotors, backing plate, etc. Every Front Wheel Drive Eclipse, both turbo and non-turbo from 95-2005, with rear disc will fit our cars. The parts I got were off a 2g Eclipse GS-T. I also paid $150.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

GEMINITHUG
    im down for this, i get my tax money in a few weeks ill hola at you

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'>either get it from a galant gtz or any eclipse v6, only the v6 models have them</div>

Thats wrong. They did offer rear discs on a few non V6 3g's but they are hard to come by. Guys I had a friend at mitsu run the part#'s on the major rear disc parts, calipers, rotors, backing plate, etc. Every Front Wheel Drive Eclipse, both turbo and non-turbo from 95-2005, with rear disc will fit our cars. The parts I got were off a 2g Eclipse GS-T. I also paid $150.</div>

What do you mean thats wrong? and what did I say?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GEMINITHUG)</div><div class='quotemain'>im down for this, i get my tax money in a few weeks ill hola at you</div>

No problem, anytime

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'> only the v6 models have them</div>
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

other reason ............

:twisted: other reason to have a V6 viva the V6

JDM front covension Old style vr4,18"axis black seven mod,clifford alarm,egr rear window visor,kenwood unit 7"screen DVD,two tones paint job,3G strut bar , HID's.

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar

Re: other reason ............

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant305)</div><div class='quotemain'>:twisted: Â*other reason to have a V6 Â*:D Â*viva the V6</div>
    you cant engine swap a V6, VIVA i4 :firedevil:

pics pics

Re: other reason ............

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krispy03)</div><div class='quotemain'>you cant engine swap a V6, VIVA i4 Â*:firedevil:</div>

You don't need to swap a V6, because it's not a turd.

mmkay... Guys is this a honda forum or what? Its really starting to sound like one. They are some hateful mofos...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AVERAGE)</div><div class='quotemain'>pics Â*pics</div>

it looks just like the factory rear disc setup that came standard on galants with rear discs...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AVERAGE)</div><div class='quotemain'>mmkay... Guys is this a honda forum or what? Its really starting to sound like one. They are some hateful mofos...</div>

Just having some fun... I'm sure most of the people here know that. I say as long as there are no personal attacks, then everything is fair game!

...but I don't want to take this thread too far off topic... so... umm... brakes... brakes are good... they help my car... stop.

functionally is there much of a difference between rear disc and drum brakes?

Most of the braking power is in the fronts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acitydweller)</div><div class='quotemain'>functionally is there much of a difference between rear disc and drum brakes?

Most of the braking power is in the fronts.</div>
    drums have a lot of stopping power,
    but due to their inability to shed heat after repeated stops. they heatsoak and begin to fade, leaving most all the responsibility to the front discs.

since braking is functionally taking momentum and converting it to heat in order to slow the car down. the brakes ability to shed heat is KEY.
    discs(especially vented discs) will shed more heat allowing for more stopping power without fade. so you can actually stop from 80-0 sooner.
    or even repeated 25-0 stops like in a nighborhood with a lot of speedbumps and stopsigns on a hot summer day.

the difference. IS quite significant.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    Quote Originally Posted by acitydweller

but due to their inability to shed heat after repeated stops. they heatsoak and begin to fade, leaving most all the responsibility to the front discs.

since braking is functionally taking momentum and converting it to heat in order to slow the car down. the brakes ability to shed heat is KEY.
    discs(especially vented discs) will shed more heat allowing for more stopping power without fade. so you can actually stop from 80-0 sooner.
    or even repeated 25-0 stops like in a nighborhood with a lot of speedbumps and stopsigns on a hot summer day.

Sounds good except that heat a byproduct of applying the brake pads to the rotors in an effort to show the momentum (forward rotational force of the rotors).

I am not so sure the conversion of foward movement to heat really slows the car down.

Either way, the G8 isnt exactly a track car either so extreme braking to the point of the brakes failing is probably not going to happen for my type of neighborly driving.

On a separate note, Is there going to be a write up or at least a parts list for this conversion or are these postings merely an fyi of what people have done with their cars?

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr

Sounds good except that heat a byproduct of applying the brake pads to the rotors in an effort to show the momentum (forward rotational force of the rotors).

I am not so sure the conversion of foward movement to heat really slows the car down.

Either way, the G8 isnt exactly a track car either so extreme braking to the point of the brakes failing is probably not going to happen for my type of neighborly driving.

On a separate note, Is there going to be a write up or at least a parts list for this conversion or are these postings merely an fyi of what people have done with their cars?
    forward momentum is energy.
    heat is energy

when you take the energy of forward momentum and convert it to heat( using the principles of friction)
    you lose forward momentum.(energy can neither be created or destroyed, it can only change forms)
    because there is less energy to propel the car forward. the more energy you take form the momentum, the more heat is produced, the more you slow down. but you can only produce and dissapate so much heat.
    even disc brakes heatsoak/fade.
    they just can dissapate much more heat than eclosed non ventilated drums.

don't think you will ever see the conditions that make the rear discs worthwhile?
    try driving in traffic on a hot day.
    yoru brakes begin to feel like total ass after a few miles of stop and go. this is cause they are hot.

and just one emergency stop, like a 60-0 or even a 55 to 0 stop you will get brake fade before you ever come to a stop.

what happens?
    the brakes can't dissapate enough heat, the brake fluid that sorrounds the pistons starts to boil, and your lose pedal pressure and stopping power.

even cars with stock 4 wheel disc fade, especially when the pads start to wear.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12