The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ? JDM taillight rewiring..

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    FLiPSTYLE

? JDM taillight rewiring..

Ok, finally got my JDM tails complete with its stock bulbs and wires. As you can see from the pix, the connectors are different. Both connectors do have 5 wires connected to them.The US tails has the circular connector. I'm thinking of just swapping the two connectors, with a lil slicing and reconnecting, it shouldn't be a problem. But would that work? I mean the JDM's do have four bulbs compared to the US's three. Any suggestions or comments would be nice specially from people with JDM tails that used its stock wires and connectors.
    US Tail in LEFT
    JDM's in RIGHT

CLOSE UP

that would work.

uhm one of the wires is the common

one for the back up
    one for the brake
    one for the turn signal
    and one that stays on for when driving @ night and stuff

just find out where each wire goes to and wire em up

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

FLiPSTYLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>that would work.

uhm one of the wires is the common

one for the back up
    one for the brake
    one for the turn signal
    and one that stays on for when driving @ night and stuff

just find out where each wire goes to and wire em up</div>

OK then, I'm going to buy some connectors tomorrow in Radio Shack and see if it'll work. I'll let ya guys know how it goes.

hey bgr, the tutorial does help.

for the US lights...
    it looks like black is common
    red is the reverse lights
    blue is the turn signal
    white and green is the brake
    and the green is the parking light...

make sure cuz im just looking @ bgr's pictures...

and yea bgr since he does have the jdm harness i think it would be easier to snip and strip the wires and just join the matching one with like solder or something...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Oh my bad, I didn't see the part where he said he had the JDM wires. I thought he was going to wire it using the standard US wires.

generalfubu
    hey actually, since you have the jdm harness, you can actually use all four bulbs like the way I have mine set up. First thing I did was to splice off the connector head of the jdm harness and the end of the US spec harness. Then i connected each of the 5 with butt connectors. that'll give you all 4 functional bulbs. Since the turn signal (1156) bulb and harness is jspec and the american 1156 bulbs won't fit on there splice off the JDM turn signal, and put in the American reverse harness and bulb. it's only a power and ground. with all that done. All four bulbs will fit in (with the enlarging hole trick) and you have a american 1156 bulb that you can switch out for blue or whatever you like...

hey guys, is there anyway to post pics other than posting it on free space on the web?

generalfubu

Hey General, did you follow the tutorial or did you do your own thing? Whenever this Jaspen website comes up, I want to buy these tails and have the lights like their supposed to like yours.
    1999 2.4l
    - AEM Short Ram with Blitz Sonic Air Filter
    - Magnecore Wires & Denso Iridium Plugs
    - Throttle Body rebored by ProFlow
    - Throttle Body Coolant Bypass
    - Throttle Cable adjustment
    - Freedom Design Strut Bar
    - Tein Springs
    - KYB AGX setting 1
    Exterior:
    - 2nd Gen JDM Tails
    - New rear 02 Molding
    - Debadged Mitsubishi lettering

generalfubu
    i just did my own thing

underboss
    yo FLiPSTYLE where did u get thoses rims because they look hott and how much did u pay for them? :?:

FLiPSTYLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BGR)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh my bad, I didn't see the part where he said he had the JDM wires. Â*I thought he was going to wire it using the standard US wires.</div>

Thanks for the heads up BGR. I was fortunate enough to get the taillights with the stock bulbs and harness..

FLiPSTYLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(generalfubu)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey actually, since you have the jdm harness, you can actually use all four bulbs like the way I have mine set up. Â*First thing I did was to splice off the connector head of the jdm harness and the end of the US spec harness. Then i connected each of the 5 with butt connectors. that'll give you all 4 functional bulbs. Since the turn signal (1156) bulb and harness is jspec and the american 1156 bulbs won't fit on there splice off the JDM turn signal, and put in the American reverse harness and bulb. it's only a power and ground. with all that done. All four bulbs will fit in (with the enlarging hole trick) and you have a american 1156 bulb that you can switch out for blue or whatever you like...</div>

That is exactly what i did..let me tell you something, those butt connectors are a bitch! my hand was swolen after doing all then wires. pix are @ the bottom. I didnt need to splice and switch the turn signals though cuz u can use the US 1156 bulb with the jspec socket, just file down one of the knob locks on the bulb and it will fit perfectly.. saved me a lot of headache... i already change the turn signal and back up with hyper whites 8)

FLiPSTYLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(underboss)</div><div class='quotemain'>yo FLiPSTYLE where did u get thoses rims because they look hott and how much did u pay for them? :?:</div>

Thanks! i actually bought mine online.. after going to shops and looking through their catalogues.. i found these rims and did a search online to look for a good deal on them.. they're 18's that came with tires and everything.. with shipping i think i paid a lil over $1700.

my setup since '99:

2 top lights 1157 (both wired for independent parking and brake - dual filament)
    reverse 1156 clear (single filament)
    signal 1156 amber (single filament)

i bored out the socket holes in the housings and silicone sealed the sockets in place. when i have a burned bulb, i cut the silicone replace the bulbe and reseal. this has gotten pretty easy. the 2 reasons i did not go for the full JDM harness, socket and bulb conversion is that i was lazy to do the full research and i was not sure about US bulb availability... 1157 and 1156 bulbs are very easy to find.

pics:

parking lights only

brakes

brakes plus reverse

brakes plus signals

if you have the JDM sockets and bulbs, there's no need for doing what i did to the housings but they will still need to be re-wired in.

Quote Originally Posted by PinoyESV6
    hey bgr, the tutorial does help.

for the US lights...
    it looks like black is common
    red is the reverse lights
    blue is the turn signal
    white and green is the brake
    and the green is the parking light...

make sure cuz im just looking @ bgr's pictures...

and yea bgr since he does have the jdm harness i think it would be easier to snip and strip the wires and just join the matching one with like solder or something...
    Thanks Pinoy,

This color chart was helpfull in helping verifying what I was doing was correct.
    1999 2.4l
    - AEM Short Ram with Blitz Sonic Air Filter
    - Magnecore Wires & Denso Iridium Plugs
    - Throttle Body rebored by ProFlow
    - Throttle Body Coolant Bypass
    - Throttle Cable adjustment
    - Freedom Design Strut Bar
    - Tein Springs
    - KYB AGX setting 1
    Exterior:
    - 2nd Gen JDM Tails
    - New rear 02 Molding