The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How in the world do you install an ignition switch

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    hotnicklez

How in the world do you install an ignition switch

could someone please shine some light on how to install an ignition switch on this car, it's a 2000 Galant ES V6, the part looks like you can just plug it in somewhere, please help.

the electrical part of the switch, or the mechanical part?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    if its the part im thinking of, its really easy. is it the black looking cylinder thing with a spot for an electrical harness? let me know what you got, if its the same as mine, i changed mine like 2 weeks ago, took 15 mins
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I am actually looking to do the same thing... replacing the ignition and door/trunk locks.

However, I talked w/a locksmith and he said that the "book" said that our Galants were equipped with transponders and that the dealer would likely be the only ones able to program the key/ignition.

Where'd you get the replacement ignition switch?

the dealer.

the thing is, your talking about re-coding everything. with that said, im guessing someone got a key to your car that you dont want to have it, or someone tried stealing your car and broke everything. For the ignition, if you want a new key cut to start the car, you would need to change the whole key cylinder, sometimes referred to as a "tumbler" by locksmith's. that and the ignition switch are two totally different things
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Yeah... someone stole the fiance's purse with the house/car keys in it and her license (address info)... Taking some preautions now. I started a thread on it... didn't mean to hijack this one. Sorry.

yeah then your gonna need to have the dealer re-code the ignition one. I was thinking about this before, if the dealer can erase your old "code" from the chip in your key and somehow re-program a new code or just reprogram the ECU code and then get you a new key code, without actually changing the shape of your key, this way you dont need to spend extra money getting the "tumbler" changed out, because that is alot of $$$$. Then you get the door locks changed by a locksmith. This is the cheapest way, only thing is you would need to have one key for the ignition and a seperate key for the doors. It may be worth it tho being your prolly gonna save $200 by not messing with the "tumbler"
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS