The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G 150 speedo in the 8G?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    Virginia (If I showed you where I live, you would think I was hiding)

7G 150 speedo in the 8G?

I was at the local junkyard, and I came accross a 7G 5 spd galant. The engine is supposedly still good and the tranny is in shambles. The only thing that appears to be in good shape is the stereo and the dash gauge cluster. I was wondering if it's possible to take the gauge cluster from the 7G and put it in the 8G. I've searched and came up blank. The 7G cluster appears to be smaller than the 8G's, but the space can be filled in with some carbon fiber, fiberglass, plastic, etc. Do they have plug and play harnesses?

To Be Missed....... Otto Racing WAI, K&N Air Filter, Otto Racing Performance Muffler, Header, GReddy Voltage Stabilizer, Strut Bar, APC Aluminum Shifter, Painted Calipers, M3 Mirrors, Optix Headlight Strobes, Audiovox 7.5" DVD Player/Monitor, JVC SD11 Headunit, Pioneer Premier 6x9s, Pioneer Premier 6 1/2s, 12' Rockford Fosgate Punch HX, Lanzar 1200W Amp.

anything is possible with $

and i DOUBT they make a harness that is plug and play... ull probably have to get a little dirty connecting harnesses if you really wanted to... then agian it could just work fine... id say look at your connectiosn look at the 7g and from there determine... def wont go 150 bc of the speedometer tho! :oops:
    Diego

Proto
    its not possible. what you have come across is a GS, only the GS goes to 150mph. the SOHC's only go to 140. 8G is 120mph. it will NOT fit.

moutning, molding the speedo, getting it physically to fit and look good is the easy part IMO.

the hard part is the wiring. even if the connectors were the same, which I highly doubt, you'd also have to make sure that speedo, tach, and other gauges run on the same amount of power or for all you know, your speedo might read you're going 150 but you're really going 10mph.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gravy)</div><div class='quotemain'>What junkyard was this?</div>

It's some little junkyard that just opend up not too far from my house. I don't even know the name of it.

galantv600

"... def wont go 150 bc of the speedometer tho! "

Of course it won't, but who knows, it might scare some ricers away.

To Be Missed....... Otto Racing WAI, K&N Air Filter, Otto Racing Performance Muffler, Header, GReddy Voltage Stabilizer, Strut Bar, APC Aluminum Shifter, Painted Calipers, M3 Mirrors, Optix Headlight Strobes, Audiovox 7.5" DVD Player/Monitor, JVC SD11 Headunit, Pioneer Premier 6x9s, Pioneer Premier 6 1/2s, 12' Rockford Fosgate Punch HX, Lanzar 1200W Amp.

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    So you found a GS?

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(njjfudge)</div><div class='quotemain'>So you found a GS?</div>

yeah, did you?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(njjfudge)</div><div class='quotemain'>So you found a GS?</div>

yeah, did you?</div>

did it have an engine?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Even if you got the 7g mph gauge to fit and even if you got the wiring set right to where it works.

The next question is is the 7g speedo gear and the 8g speed gear run at the same speeds? If the 7g speed gear is smaller and the 8g is bigger (Or vice versa) then the actual MPH will not be exact. This would mean the actual speed you are going will not be the displayed reading on the speedometer gauge.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mitsuree8thgen)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gravy)</div><div class='quotemain'>What junkyard was this?</div>

It's some little junkyard that just opend up not too far from my house. I don't even know the name of it.

galantv600

Of course it won't, but who knows, it might scare some ricers away.</div>

if you want something to go to around 150 and be accurate, then get a custom speedo face made in km/h. i mean, i've never had a ricer peek into my window to see how far my speedo goes but if one does, im pretty sure they wouldn't be able to see that the speedo was in km/h instead of mph.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(njjfudge)</div><div class='quotemain'>So you found a GS?</div>

yeah, did you?</div>

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm gonna say yes. I'm going back probably later this week to see what the price is on an RX-7 that's up there. It did have an engine. There's something missing under the hood but I'm not sure what though (saw some wires cut and a big empty space).The 5-spd tranny isn't any good though. The GS is the model that has the DOHC 4G64 right? I'll keep you guys updated.

yeah the gs came with a dohc. And if it is a gs i need to know where this junkyard is

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mitsuree8thgen)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gravy)</div><div class='quotemain'>What junkyard was this?</div>

galantv600

Of course it won't, but who knows, it might scare some ricers away.</div>

if you want something to go to around 150 and be accurate, then get a custom speedo face made in km/h. i mean, i've never had a ricer peek into my window to see how far my speedo goes but if one does, im pretty sure they wouldn't be able to see that the speedo was in km/h instead of mph.</div>

Where can I get one of those km/h gauges? That might do the trick.