The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Speedometer needle bouncing around

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Speedometer needle bouncing around

i changed my timing belt last weekend and everything is running fine and it was timed and feels ok when i drive it but sometimes when i take off the speedometer needle bounces up and down but its mostly when i i floor it or give it a lot of gas. does anyone know how i can fix this its driving me crazy. thanks

wel first i'd make shure your tranny isn't slipping.
    second i'd ask you if it was raining and were you losing traction?

after that? i'd tell you that its normal for needles to act retarded on our cars, especially after a lot of miles, and even more so common if you have installed some aftermarket gauges.

if it is the cluster, just go to the junk yard and get a new one

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

im pretty sure my tranny isnt slipping cause it was rebuilt a couple of months ago and was working fine until my timing belt was changed. its the stock speedometer and rain isnt gonna happen here in central cali in the summer and if it does its just enough to make it more humid and hot. I figure it has to be something with the belt change cause it was working fine up till then. what does our speedometer run off of? where does the cable go to? thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95InProgress)</div><div class='quotemain'>im pretty sure my tranny isnt slipping cause it was rebuilt a couple of months ago and was working fine until my timing belt was changed. its the stock speedometer and rain isnt gonna happen here in central cali in the summer and if it does its just enough to make it more humid and hot. I figure it has to be something with the belt change cause it was working fine up till then. what does our speedometer run off of? where does the cable go to? thanks</div>

there is no cable
    its totally electronic
    there is just a gear on the differential and a gear on your speed sensor

odds are its just a bad gauge cluster

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95InProgress)</div><div class='quotemain'>im pretty sure my tranny isnt slipping cause it was rebuilt a couple of months ago and was working fine until my timing belt was changed. its the stock speedometer and rain isnt gonna happen here in central cali in the summer and if it does its just enough to make it more humid and hot. I figure it has to be something with the belt change cause it was working fine up till then. what does our speedometer run off of? where does the cable go to? thanks</div>

there is no cable
    its totally electronic
    there is just a gear on the differential and a gear on your speed sensor

odds are its just a bad gauge cluster</div>

i concur

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

ok finally got all my huge problems taken care of and thanks for the advice. found out my k&n fipk was drooping down onto the top of the transmission and wore through the insulation on some wire and plugs exposing the wire and i guess shorting things out. got it all taken care of tranny working great now but speedometer still going crazy, dead/jumpy. do any of you guys know exactly where the plug or whatever the speedometer uses since im told the speedometer runs off something in the tranny. is it possible the short fried my speedometer?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    on top of the transmission, towards the back, literally in the middle of the rear perch, is your speed sensor. inside your tranny, there is a tiny plastic gear that is connected to the monstrous differential; when it spins, the tiny plastic gear spins and transfers the spinning to a half-eclipsed pin outside of the transmission inside the speed sensor plug. i gather that the pin spins and the sensor just calculates how many times it spins per x amount of time and gets your speed that way
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

exactly what i was looking for thanks. i reached back and just tugged on it and i popped right off so i guess it either wasnt plugged in all the way or maybe when whatever on my tranny was shorting threw things out of wack. i disconnected the battery also for about and hour before i drove it and now it works fine. thanks again.