The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6G72 Head Work

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

6G72 Head Work

I've already been through a bunch of the forums on head swaps and turbos, so I may have overlooked something. If you can leave some info on the 6G72 or a link to info I'd be more than a huge help. I've done some outside research, but am new to the Import scene. First, 6G72 is info on the block correct. Meaning there is only one casting for the 6G72. Which means any car with that block can swap heads with anyother car with a 6G72, provided clearance is not an issue? For example, can a 3000GT (to sound like a n00b) with the 6G72 block and 24 valve DOHC heads can swap with a 00' Galant with the same block but 12 valve SOHC heads? Are the bolt patterns different? PPL say that the difference between the GT and the 8G are the engines are 180 apart. Its still the same block isn't it? I checked the specs and all 6G72s are 91.1 x 76.0 mm bore and stroke. Which would mean the SOHC 12s, 24s, and the DOHC 24s all have a 91.1 bore with equal volumetrics (since they are all 3.0Ls.) Since all combos are on the same specs, valve clearance is not the issue. Is it piston design? Everything that I've read from these forums says that head swaps like that can't be done. But I haven't read one yet that says why. All I hear is "The Galant's 6G72 is a SOHC and could never be swapped for anything different." So whats the deal with it. Are the blocks different from generation to generation? Is there a Mitsu magical spell that warps any heads swapped? Does anyone have an intelligent answer or do I go Honda?

hi,

first of all "<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>dont you dare go for honda, ones mitsu always mitsu</span>"

you did a lot of research, thats good.
    now is my english not that good so i not explan it so good to you.
    and some thinks i dont understand of what you talk about.
    if i understang it correct you whant to replace the top block of the 6g72 for a .........
    3000gt??? top block(normal 3.0 not the turbo block)

1 thing
    most of all you can put a 4cil topblock an almust every underblock 4cil.
    and of the 6cil the same.
    not an every under its possible.
    tell me what topblock you whant an the under block and i will look for you.
    and there are some changes from gen. to gen.
    size pistons, ecu and connexions of parts.
    but thats to replace for good stuff with the good size.
    and ecu take the of the topblock you use than thats ok.
    www.md-performance.nl
    importeur in holland of ACT, MOTORIA, JUN and MUYOL
    www.galantfans.nl

Experienced TGC Member

Re: 6G72 Head Work

6G72 is the general block designation.
    All 6G72s are NOT created equal. The differance between the VR4 and the 8G 6G72 are relatively minor, but they do exist (i.e. different oil jackets, different oil housing, different structural components).

The Galant has a 24v SOHC head. And while a head swap might not be impossible, you would have to swap over the TT ECU. Good luck with that.

And finally head swaps are for Hondas.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gorgishmork)</div><div class='quotemain'>I've already been through a bunch of the forums on head swaps and turbos, so I may have overlooked something. If you can leave some info on the 6G72 or a link to info I'd be more than a huge help. I've done some outside research, but am new to the Import scene. First, 6G72 is info on the block correct. Meaning there is only one casting for the 6G72. Which means any car with that block can swap heads with anyother car with a 6G72, provided clearance is not an issue? For example, can a 3000GT (to sound like a n00b) with the 6G72 block and 24 valve DOHC heads can swap with a 00' Galant with the same block but 12 valve SOHC heads? Are the bolt patterns different? PPL say that the difference between the GT and the 8G are the engines are 180 apart. Its still the same block isn't it? I checked the specs and all 6G72s are 91.1 x 76.0 mm bore and stroke. Which would mean the SOHC 12s, 24s, and the DOHC 24s all have a 91.1 bore with equal volumetrics (since they are all 3.0Ls.) Since all combos are on the same specs, valve clearance is not the issue. Is it piston design? Everything that I've read from these forums says that head swaps like that can't be done. But I haven't read one yet that says why. All I hear is "The Galant's 6G72 is a SOHC and could never be swapped for anything different." So whats the deal with it. Are the blocks different from generation to generation? Is there a Mitsu magical spell that warps any heads swapped? Does anyone have an intelligent answer or do I go Honda?</div>

The VR4 and the GT are different engines altogether as far as I know. The VR4 is a 2.5 and the GT is a 3.0. Did you confuse the two? Am I still being stupid? I mean I could understand the change in block plumbing and such, but thats just between the 2.5 and the 3.0. Could you correct this post plz...