The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g64 or 4g63...

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    Allright i have the 4g64 sohc. My question is would it be simpler to use the 4g64 dohc or the 4g63 dohc for my head swap? And what im talkin bout is that till 95, galants had dohc 4g64's. Now i havent heard of anyone swapping to this cause more people switch to the 4g63. Is the work goin to be the same? Like tapping the extra oil holes or will it require different steps than the 4g63? Or is this to much hassle to switch to 4g64 head and not get as good results? Cause i plan on turboing so i thought bought using a 4g63t head, but i have the 4g64 head in my garage. Any ideas?

I'll start this off, you might want to search around the forums because there is alot of information already out there on this topic. But anyways to be nice the 94 GS is the only galant that was dohc and there are a few things that need to be factored in when doing either the dohc headswap or a 4g63t swap like the galant uses a distributor and the eclipse uses a DIS so to swap heads or engines you would have to switch out ecu's among other things. My suggestion would be to check some of the other threads first to decide whcih way you think you want to go.

222whp/250wtq

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    yup alot of topics had been discussed on swap issues.. might be a good idea to do a little search before you get fired on..

Well i have been reading about the head swaps and all. The only thing is i havent found anyone who has swapped out to a 4g64 dohc so i didnt know which one would be better. I know on the 4g63 theres some holes in the block that need to be tapped and closed and that the distributor is removed for a crank angle sensor and other things. I just wanted to hear if anyone has done a 4g64 head swap and if it was worth it or if i should go trade in my head and get a 4g63 head

The head on the 4g64 dohc is identical to the head on the 4g63 and unless you got extremely lucky i would bet the head you have is sohc since its from the 64 so its gonna be the same as what your driving around with now.

222whp/250wtq

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxmike
    Well i have been reading about the head swaps and all. The only thing is i havent found anyone who has swapped out to a 4g64 dohc so i didnt know which one would be better. I know on the 4g63 theres some holes in the block that need to be tapped and closed and that the distributor is removed for a crank angle sensor and other things. I just wanted to hear if anyone has done a 4g64 head swap and if it was worth it or if i should go trade in my head and get a 4g63 head
    They arent the same, but they are close. A 1g 4g63 head will flow more then a 2g 4g63 head. A 94 Galant GS head is more similar to a 2g 4g63 head I believe. It doesnt really matter though, IMO I would go with a 1g 4g63 head.

Only thing you would want off a Galant DOHC head is the cam gears andy ou can buy those from Slowboyracing.com
    7g for life!