The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DryBear..... Jet Black.... where's my v6t's at?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    So its been a while since i've seen either of you guys post.
    jet black got things boosted then dissapeared for school.
    now the semesters out.... where's that sexy black boost monster?

Last i heard of drybear you were 86'ng the slush box.
    any updates?
    how bout a debriefing.
    and some footage.

i was clicking through old video's i had in one of my folders and saw some footage of both of you guys first getting off the ground with your newly aquired power.

just thought i'd get the scoop.

you guys need to post more often to help inspire those who admire the hard work you put into your setups.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

where you guys been?
    drybear, did you ever get that thing in or are you just gonna put it on a 74? i was but i figured i would have more fun beating the shit out of this 72 while the 74 is being built. i thought of another way to postion the turbo and it uses less hot piping and turbular manifolds for better boost response but i wont talk until you do. holla

My car is still on jackstands as I hurt my back trying to put the manual tranny in the car by myself. My back is feeling a bit better now so once I get some time I'm going to get back to work on her.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yah man its a pain to install a trans without an extra hand or a lift. I installed mine today, had a few guys help, was pretty easy. Ive done it myself a few times and its a PITA! You should get a tranny jack or just a motorcycle jack, Ive heard that helps a ton.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Yah man its a pain to install a trans without an extra hand or a lift. I installed mine today, had a few guys help, was pretty easy. Ive done it myself a few times and its a PITA! You should get a tranny jack or just a motorcycle jack, Ive heard that helps a ton.
    So Seth, I guess that the 7G is back up & running then.

Yup, got it back together today. Just breaking in the clutch before I beat on it. Feels so good to drive it again :)
    7g for life!

I actually have a tranny jack, but the legs of the engine hoist I am using are in the way, so I can't use it :doh: - lesson of the day, make sure you have ample room on all sides of the car before attempting major work.

Just get a floor jack and a block of wood, stick it under the oil pan and get rid of the lift. Thats how I do it :D
    7g for life!

I was actually doing that initially - that is using a floor jack with a block of wood under the oil pan, but I had to lift the engine a bit to get the bell housing of the manual tranny to clear the pressure plate on the engine.

Experienced TGC Member
    Whats up you guys. Long time no see. I'm still at school up in NorCal. Over the winter break I went to India, so I had no time to work on my car. At this point my funds are nonexistant since I'm unemployed, and the meager allowance from my parents is dedicated to bottles of $2 wine. Though I still find time to reminince over old Galant videos (i.e. the JB vs Peano 2.4t violent rape). I have a number of unfinished projects left at home. The turbo is running excellent, despite the desperate state it's currently in (no fuel support [ran out of time], vented BOV [fucking sucks ass], stock exhaust [not intrested in full 3" till I have fuel to support anything more than 5psi], wideband controller+gauge w/16 incompatible O2 sensors, ext). Either way the second part of this project will recommence during Spring Break and Summer.

hell i would bring my uninstalled setup with me to the MB meet if i didn't have everything all packed up and ready to move... maybe i'll make a summer meet with everything installed and running... oh yeah... did i forget to mention that i'm going turbo?

Yo jet!
    good to finally hear from you man.

just one thing i noticed. your breather line its going into yoru iupper charge pipe in the pic. i know this is you factory intake tube and you used it to simplify things and cut initial costs. quite understandable.
    however...

the breather will function fine when you are out of boost....
    but as soon as you hit boost,
    what happens?????

lets think
    boost pressure is forced directly back into your crankcase...

since you have boost causing yoru pcv line to be forced shut to seal that boost leak off...
    you have absolutely no way to relieve crankcase pressure under boost.
    this is bad.

if your oil has been looking straight nasty even only days after an oil change, this is why.
    since there is no crankcase ventilation, unspent fuel fumes, and other harmful vapors, and acids are left to contaminate yoru oil.
    you will also get excessive blowby as a result of this.

all bad things,
    if you want to recirculate your breather(and i do reccomend it otherwise thats metered air escaping)
    you will want to move it to between the mas and the compressor inlet.
    of course you will get oil into your intake sytem and eventually yoru intercooler this way, so i reccomend the use of a inline fuel filter to trap the oil(cheapest way) or get an ebay catch can.

can't wait to seed your car boost out of limbo,
    but i know how school can be,
    A lot of my projects have been put on hold due to a heavy courseload.

Don't be a stranger

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    Hey STUNR! As usual your feedback is greatly appreciated.

The PCV problem is something I just recently came to know of. To be honest I haven't even checked my oil quality since I last changed it (only bothered to check the level). This problem would probably help to account for atleast some of the lost boost (4 psi~to the preset WG spring pressure) and the blown valve cover gasket.

I havn't spent more than 2 days [in a row] at my house and therefore havn't had time to do anything major. The intake converstion was a last minute thing born out of desperation. After blowing a coupler every time I hit boost I finally tried the stock intake. Since I stuck it on, I havn't had a single coupler blow off...

...which leads to my next problem: the vented BOV. My original plan included recirculation of the BOV. Though something happened and I wasn't able to incorporate it into the overall system. Instead I was left with a vented BOV. So everytime I boost, the ECU temporarily implodes, and I'm forced to drive a few miles before I can hit boost again (if I don't I'll fuel cut around 4k)...

Fuel cut, thats another intresting concept. ...Not enough fuel... I've heard the gunshot a few times already. Each time was a jarring reminder of my fuel situation. I've achieved half the equation, but that might as well be next to nothing. I can practically feel the lack of fuel. If 8 psi can net over 300whp, then 5psi should be over 200. It certainly doesn't t feel that way.

Anyways I've been lurking around here for a while, though I stopped posting after a few months without my G. It was easier to deal with the sudden loss of my "obession".

Though recently something reignited. ;) I'll be lurking around a little more often.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    Yo jet!
    good to finally hear from you man.

just one thing i noticed. your breather line its going into yoru iupper charge pipe in the pic. i know this is you factory intake tube and you used it to simplify things and cut initial costs. quite understandable.
    however...

the breather will function fine when you are out of boost....
    but as soon as you hit boost,
    what happens?????

lets think
    boost pressure is forced directly back into your crankcase...

since you have boost causing yoru pcv line to be forced shut to seal that boost leak off...
    you have absolutely no way to relieve crankcase pressure under boost.
    this is bad.

if your oil has been looking straight nasty even only days after an oil change, this is why.
    since there is no crankcase ventilation, unspent fuel fumes, and other harmful vapors, and acids are left to contaminate yoru oil.
    you will also get excessive blowby as a result of this.

all bad things,
    if you want to recirculate your breather(and i do reccomend it otherwise thats metered air escaping)
    you will want to move it to between the mas and the compressor inlet.
    of course you will get oil into your intake sytem and eventually yoru intercooler this way, so i reccomend the use of a inline fuel filter to trap the oil(cheapest way) or get an ebay catch can.

can't wait to seed your car boost out of limbo,
    but i know how school can be,
    A lot of my projects have been put on hold due to a heavy courseload.

Don't be a stranger

Yah man, once your recirced and get some bigger injectors, get the tune down, youll be making some nice power. It will feel good and you will be addicted all over again :P
    7g for life!