The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbo...

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    Ok so i found a Evo 3 16g ported turbo. I am runnin mostly stock internals so i plan on only goin around 7-8 psi for now. I was wondering if this is to big a turbo? I've read a few places that the evo turbo spools fast and is better for people running higher psi. So should i be good with this or just go with the 14g

I am not sure the evo16 runs less than 8 psi. Check on that before you go with that one

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

If you're not running a lot of boost, just use a 14B. Proto is selling one for 140
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

well i was just wondering cause this one is almost new and my friend will sell it to me for $50. So i thought i would check on that. Ya i dont plan on alot of boost right now till i get my new piston head and rods then ill crack the boost up some, but for now i was prob. goin with around 7-8psi to keep it safe.

Quote Originally Posted by bmxmike
    Ok so i found a Evo 3 16g ported turbo. I am runnin mostly stock internals so i plan on only goin around 7-8 psi for now. I was wondering if this is to big a turbo? I've read a few places that the evo turbo spools fast and is better for people running higher psi. So should i be good with this or just go with the 14g
    they creep at low boost.
    meaning that the boost level woudl spike past where you have it set to.
    unless of course you get an external wastegate to manage boost.

that woudl be a definatly liability on a motor not built or tuned to handle more than that desired boost level.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Ya well no matter what setup i do decide on i plan on a external wastegate. The only reason i was wondering on this is since i could get it so cheap and i could start the turbo swap now, but i would rather get the right parts than to mess the engine up. If i dont use this if anyone wants a evo ill prob. sell it or trade.

for $50 just get it. if it doesn't work for you sell it. i'm sure you will make a profit.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    they creep at low boost.
    meaning that the boost level woudl spike past where you have it set to.
    unless of course you get an external wastegate to manage boost.

that woudl be a definatly liability on a motor not built or tuned to handle more than that desired boost level.
    Will it still creep at low boost if you do the 34mm flapper mod? Just wondering.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr&#045 View Post
    Will it still creep at low boost if you do the 34mm flapper mod? Just wondering.
    at that low a boost yeah it will probably still creep, especially on a 2.4
    reason being in this particular situation,
    the evo3 16g has very quick spoolup.
    it will spool to 8 psi so quick, and continue to spool.
    your wastegate will open but the turbo will have already gained the momentum to carry it past your deisred boost level before it stabilizes.
    so instead of it spoling to 8 psi then staying there for the rest of the powerband,
    it will spool to 8 then maybe 10 or more psi for just a moment or longer, before it drops back down to 8 psi.
    now that 500-1000 rpms where yoru boost is spiking may be all it takes for a little predetonation, blowing a headgasket, or going too lean and melting shit.
    with the standard flapper iof you get a little spike it might not actually be able to return to the 8 psi setting you desire, it might stay at 10 psi.

with the larger flapper it would be no different as far as the immediate spike, but once the wastegate opens its more likely that your boost will stabilize at the 8 psi.

internal wastegates are just slow as far as reaction time goes.
    now if 2-3 psi won't kill yoru engine then internal isn't a problem. cause its simple easy and cheap.

but if you can spare the extra change for an external, i'd highly recomend it.
    and on that turbo i'd go no other way,
    cause i read all the time about dsm guys running low boost on a evo16g having their boost spike up to as much as 19 and 20 psi before it comes back down.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

OOh shit! 19-20 psi spike!? that is high...*note to self get an external wastegate for sure!* So a 34mm on an evo III @ 8psi...no spike?

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

i want a turbo !! for 50 bucks!!

ya i already sold it. I sold it for around $400shipped cause the guy wanted it bad cause i asked how much he would pay and he gave that number.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I would have bought it off you :(
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kolio
    for $50 just get it. if it doesn't work for you sell it. i'm sure you will make a profit.
    x2.. or keep it til you upgrade.. but i would hold on to it till i figure a way to snap it on..

Well i went ahead and sold it cause i want to use the money to upgrade the internals and make sure everything is ready. Id rather have a really good engine without a turbo, than to have a turbo on there and worry bout busting something. Plus a $350 profit was still a good deal cause i know a guy i can get another one from with a external wastegate for $100. The one i sold had a internal thats another reason i sold it, i know i could of welded it open but i'd rather just get one that is made for external.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Dude, who are these people you know! I pay $100 for a 14b :*(
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    Hmm If you're on Oklahoma you aren't too far from me. looks like i need to make a run to your state and pick up some good parts for CHEAP

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    at least you did something with it..

Ya there are a few good places to find parts around here. The only problem is that theres not to many good shops you need to now the places to go. And considering there is only one junkyard anywhere close to me makes it kinda hard to find parts but if you do you can get them dirt cheap cause they sit there forever cause noone usually buys them.