The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need advice about rims

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Need advice about rims

I want to buy rims for my 03, Galant ES.

The rims I like are http://www.tiretrends.com/wheel_cata...3?wheelID=4101 and the size is 18x8, 5x114.3 with a 40 offset.

The second ones are http://www.tiretrends.com/wheel_cata...p3?wheelID=530 and the size is 17x7, 5x114.3 with a 45 offset.

If I were to get the 18's I would go with 215/45/18 and for the 17's 215/45/17.

The car is stock and I'm not planing to do any mods. on it.I just want to make sure that there wont be any rubbing or any other problems with the above mentioned wheel/tire sizes.

Also I could use an advice on what wheel size would look better on the car and tire size too. I really like the 18's (see the link) They would look real good, what do you guys think?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

P.S. Is there by any chance a member from ontario who could give me a tip for a good local store to get rims?

I'd say go with 18's, konig is not a good brand, the best size with 18 for our galant is: 225/40/18

What about TSW ? Are they good ? I'm having a hard time choosing the right wheels, I'm originally from Europe and I'm used to diferent brand names...

With the 18's you've mentioned will there be no problems such as rubbing ? I use the car mostly for myself but
    sometimes
    for family use so I want to be able to have four people in
    the car and not to worry about anything

Experienced TGC Member
    yea... Koing..... bend very easy...... But since ur not gonna drop it..... u shouldn't worry about rubbin.... and u say ur not gonna do any mods...... if u hang out here... u will....lol

TGC Regular
    i think with all the lower priced brands the wheels are going to bend easily. if you want something strong, look for forged wheels, not cast. and wheels with huge lips bend easy too.
    Your signature is too long.

Quote Originally Posted by hsinya
    i think with all the lower priced brands the wheels are going to bend easily. if you want something strong, look for forged wheels, not cast. and wheels with huge lips bend easy too.
    What brand names should i be looking for? If you could name a few?thx.

i loved my konigs... i went over some pretty deep pot holes here in cali going 40... mines never bent. Had them for a good 5 years and now my bro is using them... i have a couple scratches of course but no bends... had the konig zeige 17"

look for some forged rims... usually bigger rims are easier to bend or break... no knock off's either... those are usually made of cheaper materials
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    konig is the choice for Gs.. love konigs... if i had the money..

Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    konig is the choice for Gs.. love konigs... if i had the money..
    eww. after my experience w/ KONIG's i won't even use a KONIG as my spare tire.

A 215 is skinny to fit a 8" wheel properly. A 225/40-18 is still a little skinny but for the car and the width wheel its your best bet. Not to mention215/45-18s are still quite a bit more expensive than the more common 225/40-18.

Also your best bet is to actually find a 18x7.5" wheel. Though I think that TSW is a extremely nice wheel, and if thats the wheel you like than go for it.

If you decide to use 17s you can use 215/50-17s or 225/45-17s.

My opinion....Get Volks, SSR, 5Zigen, Advan ....basically anything that has Rays Engineering stamped on it. Worth the extra money. Ive seen too many people Break rims that are koenig, Rotas...etc. Some Advan RCII would look sick on our G's.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    A 215 is skinny to fit a 8" wheel properly. A 225/40-18 is still a little skinny but for the car and the width wheel its your best bet. Not to mention215/45-18s are still quite a bit more expensive than the more common 225/40-18.

Also your best bet is to actually find a 18x7.5" wheel. Though I think that TSW is a extremely nice wheel, and if thats the wheel you like than go for it.

If you decide to use 17s you can use 215/50-17s or 225/45-17s.
    Ok, I'm gonna go with the 17's 215/50/17 and the offset of 45.Just one more thing though, what if I find wheels I like, and the offset will be diferent?

How much of a play is there? Would the offset for 17x7.5 be the same as for 17x7 when using 215/50/17?

Quote Originally Posted by Galantic
    Ok, I'm gonna go with the 17's 215/50/17 and the offset of 45.Just one more thing though, what if I find wheels I like, and the offset will be diferent?

How much of a play is there? Would the offset for 17x7.5 be the same as for 17x7 when using 215/50/17?

I had 215/50-17s on my 3G GT wheels (which have a +50mm offset on a 6.5" wide wheel).

A 17x7 or 17x7.5" wheel A +40-45MM offset is optimum.

Thanks for all the info,

all I need to do now is just to find the wheels I like and since I decided to go with 17's it's gonna be little harder since there is more to choose from in 18's.

Actually you should have quite a bit more availible in a 17". 17" is still the bulk of aftermarket wheel sales.

I guess you're right it's propably just me finding the wheels I like, mostly in size 18".
    And it also takes some searching to find a good place to buy them here in Ontario, I'm one of the guys who likes to buy them live not online.Not that it makes any diference anymore,just makes me feel better I guess.