Thread: Shocks diff. from struts????

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    I am on Tearstone's site, first I see this for sale:
    KYB-AGX Shocks and Struts Combo Pack - Eclipse GT/GS/RS - 00-05:
    $420.00

Then I see: KYB-AGX Struts - Eclipse 2000-2005, GTS/GT/GS/RS

$270.00

What's the diff. between a shock and a strut, I always thought they were the same thing..

Experienced TGC Member
    maybe the 270 is for the 2 fronts????

TGC Regular
    Yes I was under the impression that they were the same thing, but just uses the names interchangable.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    The difference between shock and struts are that struts have that hat thing that you springs sit on & shocks don't.

Shocks

Struts

I got this from monroe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Q: What is the difference between shock absorbers and struts?
    A. Struts and shocks are very similar in function, but very different in design. The job of both is to control excessive spring motion; however, struts are also a structural component of the suspension. Struts can take the place of two or three conventional suspension components and are often used as a pivot point for steering and to adjust the position of the wheels for alignment purposes. </div>

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    good find, our cars use struts only.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    good find, our cars use struts only.
    incorrect... struts in the front, shocks in the back... on a side note, i got AGXs from ebay for &#036;289 shipped, brand new in the box... i think they still have 2 sets left... i'll put the link in the ebay finds thread

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

A strut uses the Dampener body as an upper control arm, thats the simplest explination.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

***deleted comment as i was corrected on the subject***

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dienekes1982
    from talking with a friend of mine, he told me that struts generally offer a better ride, but sacrifice durability whereas the shocks take the abuse struts wont, but offer a less desireable stock ride.
    Veazie?? I'm in Orono, what do u drive??

from talking with a friend of mine, he told me that struts generally offer a better ride, but sacrifice durability whereas the shocks take the abuse struts wont, but offer a less desireable stock ride.
    Not correct.

Shocks and struts endure the same road conditions. There also isn't really any difference in ride of a shock or a strut.

ORONO! damn man i work in orono... i dont drive right now... my car is tore apart. doing some MAJOR much needed overhaul to the suspension, interior and engine. hit me up man, i want to take a look at those headlights.

907-9381

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Not correct.

Shocks and struts endure the same road conditions. There also isn't really any difference in ride of a shock or a strut.
    Not neccissarily correct, there is a reason that off-road racers run a dual A-arm suspension design. A McPherson strut type suspension will not play as well when being bashed agains rocks and other forces not as in line with normal forces seen by the suspension in everyday driving. The dampener shaft is simply not strong enough to survive high abuse. Under normal road conditions a strut is preferable due to the decrease in unsprung weight as the requirement for durability is not as great. The double a-arm suspension uses two specifiacally desinged suspension arms to control and absorb forces applied that are not in line with the suspensions angle of motion.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com