The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Do you over inflate your Falkens?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Do you over inflate your Falkens?

This question came up because the other day I blew both my Falken Ziex512 225/40/18 when it was bitter cold and it was after a snow storm.

Went into a pothole at around 15mph and both right side tires blew.
    I read in another forum that Falkens should be inflated to ~35-37psi all around to be optimal. I think with the cold I was only getting around 25-28psi

whats your experience with these tires?

i think you should inflate your tires to the pressure stated on the little sticker on the car.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    i think you should inflate your tires to the pressure stated on the little sticker on the car.
    very true... the manufacturer does a calculation when building the car for the optimal tire pressure to use because of the weight distrubution of the vehicle to keep the vehicle level and to protect the true-ness of the alignment and general tire ware...

check your air pressure at least once a week in cold weather...

sorry to hear youre out a couple tires... see if you can get them prorated toward the cost of new ones from where you bought them... might save you some $$$$

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    what about the rims? did they get bent too?

The pressure on the car sticker is for the factory size wheels/tires only, are you sure you can inflate totally different tire to the same pressure?

It is stated by the manufacturer on the side of each tire what the max. tire pressure is. And it changes slightly with every tire.

8G_GTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Galantic
    The pressure on the car sticker is for the factory size wheels/tires only, are you sure you can inflate totally different tire to the same pressure?

It is stated by the manufacturer on the side of each tire what the max. tire pressure is. And it changes slightly with every tire.
    \

x2

At adrenaline, the perf. shop I work at, every standard low pro tire we inflate to 33-36. They should be about there. Regaurdless of the wheel size 17"+. If you had your factory wheels/tires on, you then go by the sticker in the doorjam.

Quote Originally Posted by Galantic

if you really want the best option... call your dealership for advice on tire pressure.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    lol sounds like everyone forgot everything they learned in physics....

just because you change your rims from stock 14" or 15" steelies and slap some on some rimz doesn't change a thing, you still use the air pressure designated by the manufacturer.

did you change the weight of the car? no. so why do you have to change the pressure of the tires? 20psi in a shoebox is still going to exert the same pressure as 20psi exerts in a pool. the weight of the air is a totally different subject....but tire size changes don't change drastically enough to affect any of that unless you turn the galant into a monster truck.....

so if it says 36psi inside your doorjam, it's 36psi regardless if you're running 100-spoke 12" gold rims or 24" spinners

max tire pressure, because it's stated on the tire, refers to the maximum pressure the tire can handle. heavier vehicles require a higher tire pressure, and this lets people know if they can't use certain tires on certain cars
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

I get PSI is PSI but it just seems kinda 'soft' with a low profile tire to be running on manufactures' specs

I'll run a few pounds over for the winter time being, don't want to mess up another set of tires :oops:

well 32psi in the winter isnt the same as 32 psi in the summer, or spring even. Its like when you take a basketball from an indoor gym and then go bounce it outside during winter, its more "flat"

32psi is 32 psi no matter what the temperature is.

pressure does change with temperatures. like with your basketball example. if the ball is outside in the cold and it reads one temperature. when u go inside where its hot and you play with it for a while, the pressure will be higher.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    the basketball, like a tire, is also affected by the ambient temperature. rubber contracts/expands as the temperatures change....so if your basketball shrinks because of a drastic temp. change, the pressure would be higher.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd