The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: what could cause shitty performance

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

what could cause shitty performance

i got the new clutch in and all, but the car doesn't pull as hard as it used to. i got no check engine light or anything else.

i think it might be a fouled oxygen sensor? plugs seem ok as do the wires. no missfires or anything. other than a little lifter tick everything seems to be ok. i stress the word SEEMS.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

I dont know if it would be a o2 sensor cause my o2 sensor is fouled right now and is always running a self diagnostic and wont come on and my car works fine. It should just run in a constant closed loop sine your o2 sensor is working. Thats what mine does cause my o2 sensor o2 sensor heater, and catlyist monitor all dont work right now. If you can get a friend or someone that has a obd 2 scanner that does monitors hook it up turn your car to on and wait for the misfire and fuel to finish there diagnostic. Then turn the car on and drive around the block just enough were your sensor should be warmed up and if it doesnt come one then it is your o2 sensor.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Is the clutch broke in yet? Did you fix the engagement issues?
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Dude didn't you just put in that clutch? You have to give it time to seat properly. Its probably still slipping because it hasn't seated correctly.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4
    Dude didn't you just put in that clutch? You have to give it time to seat properly. Its probably still slipping because it hasn't seated correctly.

the new clutch has 120 miles on it....... i'm not beating it or anything, but i needed to accelerate and it wasn't that great.

seth, i adjusted it as much as i could..... even talked to proto, it's just a heavy clutch. everything feels better tho, pedal softened up a little, and the gears go in smooth

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Yah, let it break in. If you are too aggressive in the beginning, you can graze the clutch and it will just slip.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Yah, let it break in. If you are too aggressive in the beginning, you can graze the clutch and it will just slip.
    ditto. wait til you put maybe 700-800 mi before you beat on it and try to accelerate hard...
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

i'm not trying to beat on it, but you know when you have to trying to merge........ trust me i'm not trying to destroy all the money i just dropped on the car.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    dont know but when i installed mine the first time, i did a few burnouts and what not. Acceleration was great and i barely slipped too much. I can take pics of the same clutch and stuff now to show you that it barely looks used and i did well over 1500 k already.

Maybe its your driving habits or like everyone says adjustments, but i dont think babying the clutch makes any difference in it running shitty. Was it running like that before you did the swap and installed the clutch?

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

when my other clutch was slipping it kinda felt this way. but now the car doesn't just rev...... it actually moves, but not like it first did. i get kinda shitty gas mialage too, thats why i thing something else is fucked up

No check engine lights? Whens the last time the plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor were changed?
    7g for life!

plugs i changed like 2k ago, wires maybe 5k. the distributor is still the same from factory. it did leak oil but i changed the o-ring and fixed that.

but other than that no lights nothing. thats why i was wondering about the oxygen sensor

the car has 81,659 on the clock.

Bad o2 sensor will throw a CEL and will not affect WOT performance, as the ECU defaults to the closed loop maps under WOT and doesnt pay attention to the o2 sensor.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kolio
    plugs i changed like 2k ago, wires maybe 5k. the distributor is still the same from factory. it did leak oil but i changed the o-ring and fixed that.

but other than that no lights nothing. thats why i was wondering about the oxygen sensor

did you set the distro right when you put it back in?

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    Quote Originally Posted by kolio

did you set the distro right when you put it back in?
    my cuz who is a mechanic did it for me. how can you test for a bad distributor?

LOL i just replaced mine so here it goes. IF you have a 1994-1998 2.4L SOHC do the following. Make sure the engine is off (DUH LOL).There are two connectors on top of the distributor. Take off the smaller one. Also take off the cap. Using a ohm meter, test for ohms. First check between the terminals on the distributor. This is the primary coil. If the meter reads ANYTHING BUT .9 to 1.2 ohms replace it. Now to measure the seconadary coil. Measure between the high tension terminal (the black cylinder part that sticks out under the cap) and between either terminal of that connector you took off earlier. if it reads ANYTHING BUT 20 to 29 k-ohms replace it. Mine on the secondary was around 10-15 k-ohms thus the reason I replaced it. I have a whole repair book for the 94-2003 I-4 and V-6 Galant handy if you need more info.

thanks i will check it tomorrow, as well to see if my balance shaft belt snapped. iget a good chunk of vibration but mosstly from 45 and up