The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: timing belt change --- how much???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 39 of 39
    im not sure i would say it vibrates more than it had in the past... maybe a little. i guess at this point i have no way to gauge it... can the current timing be pulled from the obd and compared to factory spec?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You dont need to take the belt off. Just take the top timing cover off the cam gear and spin the crank and see if everything aligns properly.
    7g for life!

i dont know what a timing cover is ... i wouldnt know what proper alignment looks like. i can change my air filter and headlamps... and add air to my tires... thats about the extent of maintenance i can do myself :(

Idk, Id have to hear it myself to know if theres a problem. As soon as you rev it a bit, does it start to sound normal? Drive normal? It might be one of the pulleys just needing a break in, but it really shouldnt take long. If it doesnt seem normal, just take it back and tell them to check the timing and make sure the balance shafts are aligned correctly.
    7g for life!

it sounds fine when driving... maybe a little louder at low rpm, but then again the galant was never really quiet under 2000 rpm is it? i guess i will give it a few days to see if it quiets down as they said... if not i will be taking it back and telling them to check what you said. thanks!

ok... i just took the long way home so i can get a better idea of this problem... and i can say YES it does vibrate more. i found that if i am sitting at a red light after like 6 seconds it starts to vibrate more, but the tach doesnt really move. the upshot of this problem is that it seems to be a bit more responsive to throttle and maybe even a shade quicker.

also when i pulled into my garage i used my mobile to record the sound of the engine. the sound pretty true in the frist few seconds before i move the phone closer to the engine.

download it here: http://www.ravecrap.com/03-08-07_0108.wmv

thoughts?

Definitely doesnt sound right. Might sound a bit like lifter tick, but its hard to tell. Does the noise sound like its coming from the timing belt area?
    7g for life!

i cant say right now... i kinda think its more from the engine itself.

so if its from the belt area then it may settle down as the belt wears?
    if its from the engine itself then the timing is off?

and now here is a new movie recorded inside the car (in my garage) with the windows up. it was recorded after a 5 mile drive, so the car was well warmed up.

http://www.ravecrap.com/03-09-07_0230.wmv

it was made with a razr v3t (megapixel version)... if anyone wants to record a movie with a razr of their car for my comparison that would be awesome.

I guess the next thing is for you to make yourself at home at Firestone. Visit them so much that they will want to get rid of you. The ticking noice seems to be part of the 8G as far as Ive heard them. Good luck and as a suggestion on something that can help you out, get yourself a Haynes manual for the 8G. You may not know how to take apart the engine or things that are that intense but the manual will help you understand your G a whole lot better.

sls
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

I would definitely take it back and make them go back over everything they did step by step and explain it to you because if they messed up your timing you could even have a bent valve or some other serious problem. When I listened to your video I had trouble hearing the idle but I could definitely hear some kind of slap and i wouldn't let anyone tell me that it was normal or part of a break in procedure, but thats just my .02

i just called firestone consumer affairs. they said i can take it to any other firestone service center and get a second opinion if i like, and if i want to go even further i can file a complaint which would entitle me to car rental reimbursment. so im gonna get a second opinion from a different shop and if they tell me they need it for a day to fix it then im going to file that complaint and get that rental.

i will say this about firestone... excellent customer service thru the consumer affairs line and very good in-store. now if only they could get the repairs right the first time!

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    Quote Originally Posted by gaunt773
    so you are saying they may have simply forgot to set the timing?
    is it a ticking sound? if so it may be ur lifters sticking; very common mitsu quirk. get some cd2 or rislone and thoow it in ur oil.
    Has this happend to you? this ticking sound? my car is doing it and its bugging the crap out of me.

I paid $280 to the Mitsubishi dealer for labor to change the Timing, balance, alternator, power steering belts and tensioner. I bought all OEM Mitsubishi parts by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    sounds like the balance shaft is out of phase
    I agree it's common for them to line up the balance shaft and they think alls fine, when it has to be "in phase" 2 ways to make sure. Take the bolt off the back of the block and stick a screwdriver in (check service manual) and to take the balance shaft sprocket and point it straight up and let go.. if it goes toward the timing mark its in phase, if it goes the other direction it need spinned around another revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rez887
    I paid $280 to the Mitsubishi dealer for labor to change the Timing, balance, alternator, power steering belts and tensioner. I bought all OEM Mitsubishi parts by myself.
    where did you get all the parts from? online???

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjuro_2
    Quote Originally Posted by rez887
    where did you get all the parts from? online???
    Yes from the dealer in WA.

i saw the clip and couldn't hear anything I from ur car. possible it could just be the other belts btw which firestone did u take it to the one on lincoln and mccormick?...........i saw the first clip the second clip was quiet man that engine sounds like dieseling truck i might be over reacting but maybe i didn't hear it good enough but anyways did ur timing belt break or something and u tried to get it replaced? did u replace the water pump also along with the balance shaft belt and as well as the timing belt tensioner?

timing belt change run any wheres from 5 to 8 hundred bucks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12