The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: NEW Light on the RPW Header for the 8th gen

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

NEW Light on the RPW Header for the 8th gen

OK I got the header on and Throttle response picked up but the Dyno gains were pretty Low. Right? Right Dyno Results don't lie unless there is something wrong with the dyno. Some Dynos are more accurate than others. But thats neither Here nor there. I was doing some reading up in My Favorite 2NR magazine. But While doing some reading I looked at 2 respectable Import cars N/A at that both installing Headers and the results.......like 5hp gain and like 10 lbs of Torque (Guestimation I dont have the mags infront of me) and Our Cars arent build for the purpose of Racing and also the Galants that ran with the Dyno weren't tuned. So IN My opinion The gains weren't that bad.Even with a manual tranny I don't think that there are to many Cats that will kick out like 20whp. Supposedly the Headers those stratus's had were suppose to put 20 to the wheel I doubt it did. That's Just my take on it i know alot of people were upset about the "Minimal Gains"
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

Good find CJ. That's what I was saying. None of us have anything tuned. If the timing all goes right, I'll be the first and then I'll post the new results, post S-AFC. My guess is Gizmo and I will be tuning about the same time. So we'll see what happens.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Good find CJ. That's what I was saying. None of us have anything tuned. If the timing all goes right, I'll be the first and then I'll post the new results, post S-AFC. My guess is Gizmo and I will be tuning about the same time. So we'll see what happens.

Chip</div>

Hey Chip, I saw that groupbuy thanks for the heads up. Will Tempest install the S-AFC and if so when you likely be going to get it done? Maybe we can go together and get this done hopefully it'll help somewhat. Still thinking about the FPR but I see the Bernard had some problems with his that scared me a little bit.

Miguel
    Chapin y Boriqua que mezcla

if Tempest is gonna do the install, holla back. i can ride down there and chill for a few hours.

as for the FPR me and benard were thinking about that. benard got his fpr on ebay so its past whereabouts are kinda shady. so who knows. maybe his fpr is defective or soemthing. or maybe just str8 up ur car is not compatible with his fpr. but that could be something worth risking.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Which FPR does Bernard have? I was thinking about getting the one that Visio Imports sells, I think its from RPW.
    Chapin y Boriqua que mezcla

When are you guys getting your AFCs INstalled May be able to con a group discount out of them :twisted: I won't be able to get my AFC til Around February 1st when I start breaking fingers of people that owe me money. BUt more than likely I will get it done down here.
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

toc8g
    Sounds Good Laz,.. Also its just my opinion but I think the Fed spec OE Exhaust Manifold(header) is almost as good as it can get, I mean you could squeeze a little more out like the 5 hp difference everyone seems to see but those of us who have a cali spec exhuast manifold have more to gain since our present oe exhaust manifold and pre cat is so restrictive to our cars. I know personally their is a big difference because, 1. I Drove a 2000 Fed Spec for 2 years and now drive a 2003 Cali Spec and can feel the difference and 2. I raced my friend in his 2000 Fed Spec Stock and in my 2003 Galant 2 weeks after I got it and it was still stock and he beat me by a car and a half!! I used to beat this guy regularly in my old moded 2000 Fed spec Galant,....so yeah their is more of a gain for us who need it the most with the Cali Spec cars.

Another good point was made coming form Ranger_Kill.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranger_kill)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok, before I even start this info is as it has been explained to me by 4 ASE rice hating technicians. I picked this guys due the the simple fact they are mad hard core 600rwhp gearheads. Â*

To begin I have a second love next to my galant and one person on the board knows what it is (not saying cause dont feel like hearing it) hehehe. Â*

In the begining the great automobile gods decided we need a way to get exhaust gases away from the engine. Thus the exhaust mainfold was born. As some smart guy realized hey engines have a heart beat or an exhaust pulse in this case. With each fire of the spark plug exhaust is created and the pulse are born. So the smart guys figures ok i need to give each exhaust stroke it own personal time in the exhaust system. Thus the header was born. Now the key to a header is to make it where each engine exhaust stroke is basiclly leaveing the engine by itself, not at the same time as another. One big misconception is oh if i have big pipes coming from the exhaust port to the exhaust system it is going to do better, but this is not true. The reason for this is if i have a 1 5/8 exhaust port and 2 1/2 header, guess what the header is a waste due to the fact no more exhaust gas can flow then what is coming out the original port size. Alot of the headers on the market.......the i4 market are no where near being tuned they are just 4 pieces of pipe that come together to form one. This looks sweet sounds good but doesnt perform the job it should each pipe should come together at and exact place to allow the best timing for the exhaust cyclinder to have it own path, kinda like time sharing. I have also found that most of the time for a header to work it best each pipe must be the same size as the combustion chamber. Â*
    That way it allows the full chamber to be dumped into it without having to use any force to push it (exhaust gas) down the line. Anytime a engine has to push something it lose's power if an piston is on exhaust stroke it is dragging the engine, all be it very little, but it does have to act as an air pump to push old exhaust out and let new air in. Â*

From what I hear the headers dont look much different then our stock exhaust mainfold, which by the way is a true mini header and not an exhaust mainfold, so it would seem no real testing was done on these except maybe a fit testing. they are just longer versions of the stock exhaust mainfold. Â*

But off course dont take my word for it read, I suggest looking at the V-8 rodders they have been doing this awhile. Â*

Plus from the numbers i see must be some truth. Â*

Sorry I missed the dyno time but i had some heads to pick up, payed 250 bones for a nice port polish and intake alining cant bet that with a stick hehehe Â*

One quick side note to guys every Dyno is different so if you here a guy say he got alot more power then that dont sweat it. Dynos even made by the same company can read different numbers.</div>
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

toc8g
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>From what I hear the headers dont look much different then our stock exhaust mainfold, which by the way is a true mini header and not an exhaust mainfold, so it would seem no real testing was done on these except maybe a fit testing. they are just longer versions of the stock exhaust mainfold. </div>

Basically backs up my theory. Good info Laz.

Awesome info Laz. That's another one to disprove the myth that bigger is better. Even bike racers can attest to a lot of this. It's all about exhaust velocity.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Don't thank me thank yourselves. and Kevin. You knew the info already I'm pretty sure. you just needed a little help realizing it. And a couple issues of Import Tuner
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

Senior TGC Member
    I'm getting my S-AFC installed tomorrow and tuned, *IF* I can find the dang PCM (and if the wiring diagram works out that cdawg gave us a while back). Still having trouble locating it after all these months. I've looked behind my glovebox but all I see is some black slot looking thing (I'm thinking cabin filter) and right above that is the airbag module. Haven't checked behind the passenger kickpanel yet. If someone has pics or some other form of aid for me I'd appreciate it much. Turns out the guy on Club 3G doing the S-AFC groupbuy actually has friends quite close to where I live, no need to wait for the GB to end Thing is I'll be tuning for my downpipe, not the RPW headers. Have yet to hear from Dave or Vision about their status.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

cdaw2001ES
    The wires I gave you are straigh from the service manual.
    The PCM is there, whay back under the passenger side, to make it easy, you need to get all that Air flow stuff out of the way/ not fun. Read the service manual. If you have surgical skills, and crazy dental tools, you *might * be able to get there w/o just pull the carpet out a bit.
    Ultimatlye you just need to get the wires - before the PCM, but with out seeing them comin out the pcm connectors, it's hard as hell to figure wich is wich.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gizmo)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Good find CJ. That's what I was saying. None of us have anything tuned. If the timing all goes right, I'll be the first and then I'll post the new results, post S-AFC. My guess is Gizmo and I will be tuning about the same time. So we'll see what happens.

Chip</div>

Hey Chip, I saw that groupbuy thanks for the heads up. Will Tempest install the S-AFC and if so when you likely be going to get it done? Maybe we can go together and get this done hopefully it'll help somewhat. Still thinking about the FPR but I see the Bernard had some problems with his that scared me a little bit.

Miguel</div>
    Hey Miguel, I'm definately going to have Tempest do my install, just because Jason has the dyno. I'll most likely get it done on the first available Saturday they have open after I get the AFC. The GB closes 1/20, so I'm thinking it will be early to mid February. You and I can definately go together. I'll be contacting Bernard to set it up as soon as I have the AFC in my hot little hand.

As far as the FPR goes, I have had absolutely no trouble with the one I got from RPW. The biggest difference between that one and the one Bernard got is that mine still uses my stock FPR in parallel with the aftermarket one. I wouldn't be scared to buy that one. It's a thirty minute install.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.