The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8G Engine Hump upon acceleration

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

8G Engine Hump upon acceleration

I am new here so Hello to everyone! I bought a 03 automatic 8G I4 ES last week with 76,xxx on the odo, and I have a few questions about it.

Whenever the car accelerates from a complete stop, I hear a low tone hump from the engine, as if it's coming from a 280hp Evo engine with big exaust, for like a second and then everything becomes normal and drives just like any other car. This is my first Galant so I wonder if that's normal for this engine? If not then what may be wrong? other than that everything seems normal, no smoke from exaust, and idles quite with very little vibration. I was suspecting the brake didn't let go quick enough because it feels slower and less responsive than my gf's 99 camry I4. But I am probably way off cause I don't know much about cars.

another thing is the tranny, sometimes when I accelerate to say 25mph, and then the car in front brakes and I have to slow down to 22 mph for like a second or so, and then when I accelerate again it doesn't rav up as quick as before, maybe it shifted to a higher gear? Is it normal for this tranny to behave this way? other than that It feels ok to me, no abrupt shake or anything like that when it shifts.

Finally it's the tire roar on highway, It's pretty loud above 60mph or so, sounds like my gf's camry going on a steel bridge(alittle exagerated but u got what I mean), Is it the bridgestone tires or maybe that's just the way it is?

Other that the things I said, I like the way the car looks, drives and handles turns. maybe someone can tell me if something is wrong or not? Thanks for reading.

I've got a '99 Galant with almost 13K miles, yes 13000, and I too hear a strange noise whenever I accelerate from stop. Like you said, it's just for a second then goes away and it drives normally. So am also intersted if anyone can tell us what could be causing this.
    - 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V (stock)
    - 1999 Mitsubishi Galant V6 (auto)
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.