The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What is causing this noise?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 33 of 33
    The cheapest cat I can find is $247 from a local shop plus labor. The car has 200,000 miles on it so I might just trade it in for something with less miles on it for her. Is installing a catalytic converter an easy job? If so I would be willing to to the work my self. Do I need to replace the front and rear O2 sensors If I do it?
    "A mile of road takes you one mile...A mile of runway takes you anywhere."

Buy a universal one and have a buddy tack it up for you. I can see the oem one costing that much but not a uni.

Proto
    rockauto.com

Well today I pulled one of the plugs and it was covered in oil. I'm not sure how the other plugs look since I have not pulled them yet. :cry:

[/img]

That doesnt look good, Bud.... :?

same thing was with mine, i heard its normal

Damn plug 2 is soaked also! Yeah I was told a little oil is normal, but my plugs are soaked enough for oil to drip off of them.

I replaced all of the plugs and only 2 of them had oil on them. The other 2 plugs had a small amount of dried up old oil on them.

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted
    Its not 'normal' in any engine at any time.

Looks like you got worn piston rings, but at 200,000 I'm not surprised.

As for the cat? A universal cat is your best bet. I'm interested where people think they can find a factory cat for $250 though.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted
    Its not 'normal' in any engine at any time.

Looks like you got worn piston rings, but at 200,000 I'm not surprised.

As for the cat? A universal cat is your best bet. I'm interested where people think they can find a factory cat for $250 though.
    It was just an estimate. I wouldnt even attempt to purchase a part like that from the dealership. I probably wouldnt be able to eat for a month

The last cat I had installed was from the Mitsu dealer when the car was still under warranty. The part alone was around $800+ and about another $800 for labor. The good thing was I didn't have to pay a single dime since it was warranty work.

to fix that problem with the spark plugs, all you need to do is replace the oil seals which sits right on top of the chambers where the spark plugs are located in.(under the valve cover)

Ok so here is my plan. I took the G off of Craigs list after getting a ton of calls from people wanting to buy it. I posted it for sale with the rims for $2500. I am going to let the shop install a universal cat, and then I'm going to save myself some money and replace the head gasket and the seals for the spark plugs. I think if I do this my sis can get at least a year out of the G and its cheaper then buying her another car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12