The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 99 8g with too many problems

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    TGC Regular

99 8g with too many problems

Well my sister's G has been acting up a lot ever since the timing belt was replaced. When the car rev's up to about 4,000 RPM the pedal vibrate like crazy. SO i will have to bring it to a shop and have the timing belt looked at. Its prolly the balance shaft belt.

Anyway there are a bunch of things that needs to be done to the car. It needs new shocks, front and rear so i am going to go with the KYB GR-2's. Her front passenger side tire is literally impossible to remove. I needed to take a blow torch to heat the hub and remove the wheel. So i need to buy a new wheel hub and rim.

When you drive the car, you hear this annoying humming sound that I believe is coming from the engine bay. It also sounds like it could be coming from the passenger front wheel. (Could the wheel hub problem cause that noise?) Maybe the tire isnt sitting correctly. I have to pinpoint that problem.

Next, is that stupid rattling noise the car makes usually when pulling away and on turns. I am thinking it is possibly the motor mounts. Maybe I should just replace the motor mounts as well.

So basically what are some good sites where i can buy these parts:

wheel hub
    kyb gr-2's (ebay?)
    motor mounts

I was searching the forum and found this site:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/view...hlight=ptuning

but it didnt help me much on all the parts i needed.

If any1 has any insight on some solutions feel free to help. Also if someone can give me some good sites where I can buy these parts would be greatly appreciated.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Well my sister's G has been acting up a lot ever since the timing belt was replaced. When the car rev's up to about 4,000 RPM the pedal vibrate like crazy. SO i will have to bring it to a shop and have the timing belt looked at. Its prolly the balance shaft belt
    Sounds like what you concluded...whoever did the timing belt job didn't do it correctly. Might be a balance shaft belt set wrong. Bring it back and have them correct the problem.

Anyway there are a bunch of things that needs to be done to the car. It needs new shocks, front and rear so i am going to go with the KYB GR-2's. Her front passenger side tire is literally impossible to remove. I needed to take a blow torch to heat the hub and remove the wheel. So i need to buy a new wheel hub and rim.
    You could of soaked it with PB blaster and let it sit. Rust and corrosion is most likely the reason the wheel was hard to remove. When you install new suspension and even the lug nut studs, coat the bolts and nuts with anti seize lubricant. This is will prevent them from corrosion which could lead to stripped bolts, broken bolts, stripped nuts, etc etc.

When you drive the car, you hear this annoying humming sound that I believe is coming from the engine bay. It also sounds like it could be coming from the passenger front wheel. (Could the wheel hub problem cause that noise?) Maybe the tire isnt sitting correctly. I have to pinpoint that problem.
    Does the humming sound happen when the car starts to roll or on certain speeds? If its a bad hub bearing..you will hear it even if you are going 1/2 a mile per hour. If the noise becomes noticable at certain speeds..it could be the tire. It may of developed high road force which means the structural integrity of the tire isn't at spec causing the noise. If the tires look worn out thread wise...its probably where your noise is coming from.

Next, is that stupid rattling noise the car makes usually when pulling away and on turns. I am thinking it is possibly the motor mounts. Maybe I should just replace the motor mounts as well.
    Your description of the noise and when it happens sounds like the CV axles are or about to fail. Inspect the CV axles...check for the boots if they have split. Usually you can tell easy because the boot will be torn and you'll have a splendid gunky mess around the area.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    Does the humming sound happen when the car starts to roll or on certain speeds? If its a bad hub bearing..you will hear it even if you are going 1/2 a mile per hour. If the noise becomes noticable at certain speeds..it could be the tire. It may of developed high road force which means the structural integrity of the tire isn't at spec causing the noise. If the tires look worn out thread wise...its probably where your noise is coming from.

Your description of the noise and when it happens sounds like the CV axles are or about to fail. Inspect the CV axles...check for the boots if they have split. Usually you can tell easy because the boot will be torn and you'll have a splendid gunky mess around the area.
    Thanks for the reply... That humming noise only happens really at higher speeds. You dont hear it at low speeds. The tires are actually brand new....

ANd I will have to check the cv joint...how much does it cost to replace them? Is it an easy fix?

TGC Regular
    I was looking on mitsubishiparts.com and it looks like the CV Axle assembly will run like $300 I was searching the forums and some members have bought aftermarket axles from like pep boys, are they ok to replace with?

Also is their a tutorial on changing the axles?

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    Looks like you got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one.

Couldn't resist :smt112
    ~Lady Driven~

Quote Originally Posted by Divinity
    Looks like you got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one.

Couldn't resist :smt112
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Thanks for the reply... That humming noise only happens really at higher speeds. You dont hear it at low speeds. The tires are actually brand new....

ANd I will have to check the cv joint...how much does it cost to replace them? Is it an easy fix?
    Even new tires can have bad road force. Not sure what brand tires you have..but lower end brand tires tend to have those types of problems, BUT higher end tires like BFG, Goodyear, Dunlop, etc etc can have bad tires...its the nature of manufacturing, not every product off the line is perfect.

I would get the tires rebalanced possibly, they can usually tell on a balancer machine...granted if the shop has a up to date balancer machine.

OEM cv axles are going to be expensive....but what you are paying for is OEM quality and the part warranty. You can go aftermarket about half the price..but I am referring to OEM quality aftermarket. What I mean is if you run into cv axles from Auto zone or Pepboys almost dirt cheap like $50....I would stay away from them. Sure they will have a "lifetime" warranty, but how many times will you have to replace the things because they break every 1000 miles. Just follow the "You get what you pay for" practice...I expect to pay for a good quality aftermarket part that is at least half the OEM price. Soo..$150 for a cv axle is safe to say its going to be real close to OEM and still have a good warranty.

Removing the CV axles is pretty easy..hardest part is removing the axle nut on the hub. Once you get that off and a pry bar the axle should pop right off the tranny.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Have you had an alignment lately? Mine did that before, and it went away. But it started doing it again after about 30k since i had it aligned. But also depends on road conditions. I actually need to replace my struts. I was able to get a hold of some KYB regular shocks at this place in houston called Imported Auto Parts for 250.00 for the whole set. Front and Rear. But, I figure once you get your struts on there and get it aligned you will be ok. As far as that wheel being real tight, get some penetrating lube, and spray the luggs. Then if that doesn't work, get you a long ratchet and a CHETTA PIPE (Regular pipe) and slide that pipe over that ratchet and turn it. I guarantee it will come off then. Just make sure you eat your wheaties before you do.
    The Boss always will Remain Shining!!

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TederickR
    As far as that wheel being real tight, get some penetrating lube, and spray the luggs. Then if that doesn't work, get you a long ratchet and a CHETTA PIPE (Regular pipe) and slide that pipe over that ratchet and turn it. I guarantee it will come off then. Just make sure you eat your wheaties before you do.
    There is NO problem with the lugs coming off. Its once the lugs are completely...then u have to take the tire off (the tire doesnt flinch) it wont remove itself off of the lug bolts!

kick it off

I just bought a 99 GTZ. Spent $500 on suspension/drivetrain parts and finally got the thing to pass inspection. Saved a thousand on labor by do-it-myself. Good luck on your car.

sounds like its time for a new car to me...... have anyone else noticed that tederickR is the best noob ever???

blue(on the)rims so the G crip walkin