The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Any tips about cleaning the mass air filter(MAF)?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Any tips about cleaning the mass air filter(MAF)?

I'm going to clean the MAF to see if it'll help to turn off the SES light. Is there any warnings or procedure that I need to follow to not damaging the MAF sensor while cleaning it?

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    i spray carb cleaner on it and let it dry in the sun. just make sure you don't touch the inside or damage the sensor inside.
    -Pedro

i wouldnt recommend spraying any cleaners inside the mass air flow sensor. our engines have a hot film mass air sensor. whenever we cycle the key it heats up red hot to like 400 degrees to clean off crap on it. if you still want to clean it i would use a q-tip with some alcohol on it and lightly wipe the wire. i believe it also has the intake air temp sensor integrated in it, i would leave that alone.

there is some mas air specific cleaner. you cna get it at advance. its cheap, never had to use it, although i'm sure it woudn't hurt anything.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    there is some mas air specific cleaner. you cna get it at advance. its cheap, never had to use it, although i'm sure it woudn't hurt anything.
    CRC MAF Cleaner
    2003 ES 2.4L - 150k - Stock
    tranny flush, timing belt, tensioner replacement at 80k

i used the CRC Mass air flow sensor cleaner...its about 6 bucks at advance auto...the bottle says it increases 6-10 HP...so im like WOAH...but i guess u gotta have preatty darn dirty one so it can work...anyways thats the only thing i recommend to clean the sensor...
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272
    ported Dual Ball Bearing FP RED 84mm 25psi w/ external dump