The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oil dipstick

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

oil dipstick

i was wondering at what level should the oil be. there is two notches on the dipstick and no writing. is it supposed to be at the 2nd notch or is it supposed to be higher? mine is slightly higher then the second notch

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

I usually keep mine at the second notch. If it goes to the 1st notch, I usually just add 1 quart of oil. and it will be fine.
    The Boss always will Remain Shining!!

yea second notch.... just make sure the car is on level ground when you check it

FOUNDER OF THE EVO WING ON A G GROUP member #1

And make sure that it has sit for a moment after you ran it, to get an acurate reading.

The lower notch is the 'add' level the other notch is the 'full' level.

u should also try Royal Purple 5w30 full synthetic. bout $7 a bottle along with k&n oil filter for $11. cheap investment for great performance. :D

ok good then its fine :D

i was just wondering cause i think i have a slight oil leak and i didnt want to run my engine dry. there was some oil down by the drain plug so i was a little worried but its full so thats good. and when i was under there, there was no physical dripping so i think im good

My 8g usually will burn about a quart of oil in between oil changes. Been like that since i got it at 45k. But no biggie. I read something about that they would burn a little.

burning oil is a given. i mean my car is 8 years old and has 87k miles. but it was a little bit wet under there and when i touched it, it was a little bit of oil. i made sure the drain screw wasnt loose or anything and i looks like there is no damage. i ran over something today(please dont ask) and so i took a look and just noticed it. its probably been like that for awhile now, and i havent noticed it till now. who knows i will just keep and eye on it

There you go. You know, When I am too lazy to change my own oil, and I let the dealer change it, they always put a brand new drain plug everytime. Its included in the oil change price. 15.99 or 19.99 depending if I get an online cupon :) But maybe on your next oil change, replace the drain plug and see what happens. Its only like 2 or 3 bills. gotta keep the grage floor clean :)

my car has 87k and NEVER burns oil... always almost exactly to what i fill it when changing... also habe a bent oil pan too... but yeah, if there's some sludge by the drain plug tighten it a tad... you may also want to check the tightness of the filter too...

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdman13
    my car has 87k and NEVER burns oil... always almost exactly to what i fill it when changing... also habe a bent oil pan too... but yeah, if there's some sludge by the drain plug tighten it a tad... you may also want to check the tightness of the filter too...
    i dont think mine burns oil either i was just throwing that out there. i will check out the filter tomorrow thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattalicslvr8g02
    yea second notch.... just make sure the car is on level ground when you check it
    sorry to jack this thread, but i have the same pic for my wallpaper
    myspace.com/xxxJ3ffReYxxx
    TEAM TGCLV
    TEAM DOWNFORCE
    LVEVO.org