The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tranny?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    electricjoe

Tranny?

I have a 2000 es V6 and noticed that alot of posts here complain about the loss of hp's between crank to wheels. I was wondering if there is a site or if it is ever possible to change the gears/ ratio for our/ my transmission?

no.... the ratios are monitored as part of the normal function of your PCM.

if you could get different ratios (an expensive proposition), you would also need total recalibration of the PCM, which would undoubtedly be illegal unless it was okay'ed by the federal government.

electricjoe
    okay, then is there a better transmssion that can fit our cars?

Gilhuly
    Yeah,

A 5 speed auto off a JDM Pajero (F5A51 - ours is an F4A51) - Good luck finding one. It would be awesome though. I always feel like the V6 is missing a 5th gear. The thing with our trannys is that it is all electronically controlled in terms of pressure, shift points etc.. The type of work that led to the RIPP black box could lead to tranny control reprogramming or chipping. All indications are that our trannys are actually very good

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah,

A 5 speed auto off a JDM Pajero (F5A51 - ours is an F4A51) - Good luck finding one. Â*It would be awesome though. Â*I always feel like the V6 is missing a 5th gear. Â*The thing with our trannys is that it is all electronically controlled in terms of pressure, shift points etc.. Â*The type of work that led to the RIPP black box could lead to tranny control reprogramming or chipping. Â*All indications are that our trannys are actually very good</div>

Yeah i came to that same conclusion that our tranny's are really good.. I remember in an old post that a company was building a turbo for the A/T and actually blew the tranny at about 8psi, but im thinking it could be from bad R&D of the turbo.. I have talked to several 3g guys and 8g guys who have the Ripp Kit and there saying that at they run it at 6psi and still no problems. Ross has said himself he boosted up to 10psi on a stock 8g tranny and it didnt drop.. Im thinking that our tranny's will hold up to or about 10psi.. But i still would upgrade the tranny though.. good thing mine already has the TC and its Bulletproofed..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Senior TGC Member
    It's probably really tough but horridly inefficient.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Gilhuly
    Yeah, the lack of balls is the thing. I still would like to try the reprogramming of the tranny control. There'd bea huge market here for a proven product - probably 15-20 hp to the wheels if done right.