The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Went over a bump, now steering wheel is very very stiff

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Went over a bump, now steering wheel is very very stiff

Went over a bump pretty hard the other day, and right afterwards I notice that my steering wheel became really stiff while in motion. First I thought I blew my tires, so I got out of the car and checked. Everything was fine.

Now, ever since that day my steering wheel is very stiff ALL the time.
    What could I have damaged?

This is a wild guess... but maybe your gear box... or your bushings...? :?
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

TGC Regular
    did you check your power steering fluid. Maybe you knocked a hose loose.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericbla03
    did you check your power steering fluid. Maybe you knocked a hose loose.
    that would be my guess

hmm, thanks for the suggestions. I just checked the fluid level and nothing seems to have changed.

It's a wild guess, and it's certainly a worst case scenario, but if you knocked the car hard enough to widen the track and screw up the chassis, that will cause an increase in steering effort. Does everything look aligned properly?
    1996 Galant S

Quote Originally Posted by Galant Kid
    It's a wild guess, and it's certainly a worst case scenario, but if you knocked the car hard enough to widen the track and screw up the chassis, that will cause an increase in steering effort. Does everything look aligned properly?
    Wow, wouldnt that be something haha, as unlikely as it may be... its always possible... although it would be more probable that his gearbox got screwed up somehow... which is also a far fetched idea I know...
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.

Is your belt to your power steering pump still in tact. I remember one time, i was turning a corner and it snapped then all of a sudden my steering was hard.

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

Quote Originally Posted by ChuloMxcn
    Is your belt to your power steering pump still in tact. I remember one time, i was turning a corner and it snapped then all of a sudden my steering was hard.
    Which belt is that?
    The strange thing is, while the car is standing it seems like power steering is there. Yet while it is in motion, the steering becomes tighter. Do our cars have speed sensors to tighten the steering while at higher speeds? If so could that be broken?

nah. no speed sensing steering. the PS is the thing on top of the AC. There would be a belt coming from it.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    nah. no speed sensing steering. the PS is the thing on top of the AC. There would be a belt coming from it.
    x2 and youd still get power while the car is sitting still, but no assist to the steering.

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

power steering is definitely there when car is still

I don't know, maybe you can help me take a look at things Aaron

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Check your inner and outer tie rods for damage. If the bump was as bad as you described..you could of damaged either one of the two or both.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo