The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Possible axle problem?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 32 of 32
    [quote="alexvr"]run1206: check the tranny mount, does it shift into the gear hard? it feels lik u hit sumthin?

X2
    The Boss always will Remain Shining!!

Quote Originally Posted by alexvr
    run1206: check the tranny mount, does it shift into the gear hard? it feels lik u hit sumthin?

on my left side there is this lubricant or oil leaking somewhere because its all over, i think the cv boot is ripped??
    [quote="TederickR"]
    Quote Originally Posted by alexvr
    run1206: check the tranny mount, does it shift into the gear hard? it feels lik u hit sumthin?

X2
    it shifts a lil hard from 2nd to 3rd. other than that, normal shifting...

when i did my Outlander IM, kory (mtcavity1) noticed that when he rotated my tires, we'd hear the clicking. only took maybe a few inches of rotation to hear it. i think i'll check the mounts as well for any problems. haven't seen any leaks yet...

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

I've got a broken/leaky boot on one of my axles. I may replace the whole assembly this weekend. Is it as straightforward as it seems, or are there any gotchas with the auto/4cyl 8G?

Quote Originally Posted by Satan
    I've got a broken/leaky boot on one of my axles. I may replace the whole assembly this weekend. Is it as straightforward as it seems, or are there any gotchas with the auto/4cyl 8G?
    not sure, it'd be my first time changing them, so my guess is as good as yours :? :(

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd

Have you done yours yet? How'd it go?

Have you done yours yet? How'd it go?
    haven't done it yet, was gonna take it to a shop this week or next week

On my way to pick one up from OReilly's auto parts... Lifetime warranty, $59 (non-ABS passenger side).

I'll take pics and let ya know of any challenges... But if a shop's gonna do it...

GDit!!! The oil seal is damaged. When I pulled the axle out, tranny fluid just poured out like a faucet. Fing dealer is closed.

Recommend that you have the seal on hand, just in case.

anyone in NY/NJ need axles i can get teh non ABS ones with core for $51 each

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted
    anyone in NY/NJ need axles i can get teh non ABS ones with core for $51 each
    i might need some axles denver.

Satan: i'll get an extra oil seal when i get the axles done.

You need a special tool to drive that seal in (what a PITA). I ended up using a short piece of 2-3/8 fence post which fit it well (I'm resourceful like that). Hope it helps.

Turns out the original seal was fine, but popped out a bit with the shaft, releasing about 3 or 4 quarts of fluid. Since it was weak enuff to "pop out" a bit (at 177K miles), it's certainly the right time to replace it (~$18).

You need a special tool to drive that seal in (what a PITA). I ended up using a short piece of 2-3/8 fence post which fit it well (I'm resourceful like that). Hope it helps.

Turns out the original seal was fine, but popped out a bit with the shaft, releasing about 3 or 4 quarts of fluid. Since it was weak enuff to "pop out" a bit (at 177K miles), it's certainly the right time to replace it (~$18).
    i'll definitely remember that when doing the axles... speakin of tranny fluid, i gotta change that and the oil as well :( :?

i'll see if i can get something similar to do the job when i do the axles, thanks for reminding me about that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12