The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: my belts arent happy

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    know that noise you heard outside.........

my belts arent happy

so jusr recently my belt started squaeling a lot... it used to just give a tiny squeal the first time i hit the gas... now its happening more and more...

it happens when i hit the gas... and i dont mean flooring it... just barely above idle... anything i can do to stop it ? or do i need a new belt soon ?

1998 Mitsubishi Galant ES
    "freedom of speach includes volume"

well if yours is anything like mine (and I am sure it is) it probably just needs to be tightened.
    7g's dont have auto tensioners on them like newer cars do, so you have to go in there with a 12mm open-end wrench and tighten it yourself

*grabs chilton manual and tries to figure out how to do that*

cool... ill try it...

mucho thanks...o......... rite

lol :P

also be sure not to over tighten them. You can burn up alternater bearings by doing that

well first off which belt is squealing? on the 7g its usually the A/C belt, just tighten it up and u'll be fine

Also worth mentioning is if you let them squeal long enough, they'll snap from the stress of overheating. When you smell burning rubber, and you're not doing a burnout, it's time to tighten or replace.
    1996 Galant S

cool... thanks... they squeal a good bit till i start driving, then they normally quiet down... tomorow ill go take a look at them...

how tight should they be ? and how do i measure that ?

You measure it by the good old twist test. Tighten them up a little bit at a time, and when you can't turn your belts more then 90 degrees, they're good.

Of course there's always my way: Tighten them up as needed on the side of the road with the 12mm I always carry around, just for that purpose!
    1996 Galant S

Quote Originally Posted by Galant Kid
    Of course there's always my way: Tighten them up as needed on the side of the road with the 12mm I always carry around, just for that purpose!
    Glad you do that too. If i jump in my car and the belts start squealing, i just pull into a parking lot and pull the wrench out of my center console.

coolies... ill go mess with it as soon as im done putting the trailer hitch on the parental unit's jeep :(..... i hate knowing how to do this stuff.... "mike do this, mike do that" is all i hear..... :| lol

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa
    coolies... ill go mess with it as soon as im done putting the trailer hitch on the parental unit's jeep :(..... i hate knowing how to do this stuff.... "mike do this, mike do that" is all i hear..... :| lol
    yeah us 18 year olds are the family mechanics... :?

so i did a little research..... well... i drove to dunkin dounuts...

the squeal stops when i turn the AC off... so now all i need to do is turn off the AC till i start driving a little...

ill tighten it up later... at least i know what the problem is... stupid AC belt
    *shakes fist*
    but for now ill just leave the AC off for a little while... :P

MUCHO thanks for all the help though

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Just in case you need to use this. It's for an 8G but it'll prolly work for the 7G.

https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46777

Just doing some research for my 7G belts and read that tutorial. The belts are on the opposite side of the engine bay for us 7G'ers, and it looks like maybe we have more belts than the 8G does as well. Does anyone have a tutorial for a 7G belt switcheroo?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    yup its about that time for 7G belts to start squeeking and next month you will hear your control arm ball joints start to creak like hell.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

They're beyond squeaking, they're gonna snap soon. I'm having trouble deciding if I should change em myself or pay someone to do it for me. The deciding factor are my sasquatch size hands that can barely fit down there. If I had a proper 7G tutorial, I may be able to make a better decision.

yup its about that time for 7G belts to start squeeking and next month you will hear your control arm ball joints start to creak like hell.
    LMAO! funny but so damn true! its a plague...