The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 94 GS DOHC engine

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

94 GS DOHC engine

I have searched the forms and just need some reassurance. My 94 GS has a bad DOHC motor. When cranking the engine (head is off )#1 piston (closest to timing belt) does not move while the other three crank away. Best guess is the crank is busted between #1and #2 cylinder. I am thinking about getting a SOHC engine; use the block with the DOHC head . Couple questions about selecting a replacement engine/block

1. Will any 4g64 block work as a replacemnt for this block and crank?

2. The 94 and 95 SOHC 4g64 engines has the crankshaft positioning sensor located by the balance shaft belt under the timing belt cover . I believe the SOHC 96-98 engines had the positioning sensor located in the distributor. Where is it located on the 94 DOHC? Assuming it is down by the balance shaft belt , what do I do about the crankshaft positioning sensor if I end up with a 96-98 block

3. With the camshafts still bolted in place it is possible for me to remove the valve lash adjusters. Is this a problem or is it because the the car has been sitting for some time and the oil has drained from them (I am assuming these are hydrolic adjusters)?

4. Advice on how to get this car back on the road appreciated. jjj
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

where are you located?

i'll have a dohc block f/s in about a week.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I am in Helena MT 59602. Major problem with my location is there are no machine shops here you can trust when rebuilding an engine.

BTW, What is the difference between a block from a SOHC 4g64 and a DOHC 4g64?

I have been thinking of buying a JDM/salvage SOHC engine and replacing the SOHC head with my DOHC head. That brings us back to my questions:
    1. Will any 4g64 block work as a replacemnt for this block and crank?

2. The 94 and 95 SOHC 4g64 engines has the crankshaft positioning sensor located by the balance shaft belt under the timing belt cover . I believe the SOHC 96-98 engines had the positioning sensor located in the distributor. Where is it located on the 94 DOHC? Assuming it is down by the balance shaft belt , what do I do about the crankshaft positioning sensor if I end up with a 96-98 block

3. On the head, with the camshafts still bolted in place it is possible for me to remove the valve lash adjusters. Is this a problem or is it because the the car has been sitting for some time and the oil has drained from them (I am assuming these are hydrolic adjusters)?
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

The blocks should be the same and if they aren't i'm sure they are compatible. Also the CPS on a 96 is in the same location down by the crank so I am pretty confident that holds true for the 97-98 models as well. The only time i've heard of the CPS being in the head was on 1G DSMs and that was because they simulated the crank signal from the cam signal.

222whp/250wtq

Well My brother bought a GS not to long ago and shortly after we had rod knock:(.. We took it to a shop and they just grabbed a 4g64sohc and replaced the sohc with the dohc from the GS.

Runs fine now, he drove it from orlando to houston texas without any problems...
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

the sohc 4g64 block will work fine,
    you jut have to make sure you drill the blank on the back of the block about 3/8" deep, and tap it for a knock sensor.

or you can use one of the other pre tapped holes on the back of the block.... but it will effect how the knock sensor will respond to pings

1994 Galant GS-Turbo