The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: painting dash (re-painting dash) oh and one more re painting

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

painting dash (re-painting dash) oh and one more re painting

well i started off i had this r vinyl crap didnt please me at all i was scared to paint my dash. never buy r vinyl ever worse shit ever pieces didnt even fit. i grew a pair and painting my dash i went with a black and white look i did black on all the wood graine and white on buttons air vents and gauge bezel. yesterday i felt like i need a change and a little touch up so i went with a navy blue and white look finished put the pieces in about 4 in the morning and it was loooking good i wook up and i was pissed i hated the color. so i decided to go back to original black and white just take my time and go perfect with it. all of a sudden like the paint was trying weirtd lik it look like someone shatterd glass then painted it. now im an unhappy person. i dont know what do do i try to remove the paint and sand it and shit but its jsut all un even any suggestions on what sand paper i should use or how to remove all the pull shit paint so i can put a solid color on there. not to mentions my cold cathode tubes started smoking out the transformer. things were going good now there just terrible hellppp someonee

WarmAndSCSI
    Dude, breathe, in, out, deep breaths. Welcome to TGC! :D

All I can say is prep, prep, prep. You should sand and then clean the surface you're painting with at least alcohol. Any imperfections on the surface will cause the rippling you describe.

yeah what sand paper do u suggest i have to like get in those small cracks but i also have to work with the bigger pieces too im not even going gloss im doing a texture black with a satin white. how do i remove the damage ive already done its all like sticky and un even

$125 real trim kit > $35 R Vynl kit

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by brgalantman
    yeah what sand paper do u suggest i have to like get in those small cracks but i also have to work with the bigger pieces too im not even going gloss im doing a texture black with a satin white. how do i remove the damage ive already done its all like sticky and un even
    Strip it off with mineral spirits (automotive paint thinner). Sanding with 400 grit should be a good start and then move up to 1500 grit before you paint it. It won't make it glossy, but you will get a very smooth finish and good adhesion.

idk if i should go back black and white go white on white or go black on black any suggestions?

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    just take your time too when prepping.... dont half ass it

is the fact that its like 30-50 degrees outside right now a factor? i think im going to take a one day break then take my time and sand one day then paint the next

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    yea cold weather is a factor definately, if you can do it in a garage or somehwere enclosed it would help a lot also

yeah thats what i been trying to do, i think im gunna try to close the garage and run some lights to heat it up a little bit

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brgalantman
    yeah thats what i been trying to do, i think im gunna try to close the garage and run some lights to heat it up a little bit
    make sure not to breath in too much paint :shock:

well i started sanding, used a little mineral spirits, i started with 150 to scratch some roughh surfaces, then moved to 400, what should i do next, i foudn 600 and home depot is that fine enough do i need to sand then used mineral spirits then water and soap or what most of them are sanded with some paint even with the original layers right now with 400 grit what shoul i do now

alright well the project is going good so far...i went with black on black texture finish...the 1000 grit + the mineral spirits really did the job... but the smell of mineral spirits and 3 cans of rustoleum spray paint is getting to me so i took a break...is there anything i should do when im done like a clear coat(not glossy) or anything i can get to make it stay and look good