The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Valve Cover

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar

Valve Cover

Hey Guys I just got a valve cover frm salvage in the mail.. and noticed that the gold "coating" on the inside of the cover is peeling a bit should I worry or is that oil caked on? lol :smt102

Experienced TGC Member Divinity's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about it, get some simple green or a degreaser, most of it will come off. When I got a new valve cover i had the same stuff, just cleaned it off with some degreaser, came right off. Just wash it really good
    ~Lady Driven~

How hard is it to replace the gasket on the valve head cover? I was told that mine is leaking oil into my spark plugs and it needs replaced.

^^^^^And like Divinity said, try to spray it out and see what happens. Hopefully you have nothing to worry about.

Oh, and sorry for the thread jacking! Thats my bad.
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    Only thing that was not mentioned and it's important. When reinstalling the cover back on, torque the bolts to 36 inch pounds and start in the middle and work to the outer bolts. Also when you install the new spark plug tube seal, make sure that they are correctly seated in the cover. I just did that when I replaced my Intake manifold last month. Another pointer for you is this, make sure and remove the cover after you been driving the car for a while , let it cool off a little and then remove cover and the old gasket will come off easy. If you do it when it's cold, it will be tough to remove it.