The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lower ball joint problem!!

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    Ok i just got my 98 galant and ball joint broke :( . Well i finally got the balljoint out after much persuasion(got a blow torch cause bolt wouldnt move). O ya and this is all on the driver side. Well after i got the ball joint out i started takin the half shaft out. Took it out and it came apart at the cb joint. Well now i'm trying to get the transaxle out of the transmission(automatic) and i have a chilton manual that says "Find a sutible pry bar, then pry inbetween the transmission and transaxle till it pops out". Well problem is it wont pop out! :evil: So my question is: Am i missing some step or somethin? We removed the balljoint, pulled out half shaft, then pryed on transaxle. Is there a bolt or somethin i need to remove? Do i need to put it in gear? And this is a automatic, Us version, 98 galant, on drivers side. Anyone now what to do?

Proto
    theres a recall for 7G's and balljoint problems..

Quote Originally Posted by Proto
    theres a recall for 7G's and balljoint problems..

yep got my replaced about 4 months ago and it was freeeeee hehehe
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

ya i know theres a recall on it, but my question is:"How do you remove the trans-axle from the tramsmission?" I have been pryin on it day and night putting it in different gears and doin everything i can think of! Is there a bolt or somethin im missing? When i read my chilton manual it says after the half-shaft is removed, use a sutiable pry bar, then pry apart the trans-axle. Says nothing about bolts or anything and i know it should just pop out. Anyone done this before have any ideas?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    the trick that i found works best is to get a screwdriver in between the axle and transmission, and being carefull not to tear up the transmissions seal, tap the screwdriver in between them with a hammer. keep doing it till it slides or pops out. also, make sure there's nothing pushing it towards the transmission, even just hanging there limp like i have been for the past 2 years will still make it difficult
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Go to autozone and get one of those short prybars for 8 bux and deal with it. From experience i know trying to wedge a flathead screwdriver in there between the driversside axle and the tranny is a PITA.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Allright thank for the ideas guy. Ive been usein screw drivers but not tapping them with a hammer, just using them to pry. And on the pry bar, the only problem with that is im not getting enough space to fit the wedge of the bar in there cause its too thick. A screw driver will fit and ive got it out a little bit, but once u slide the pry bar in and start using enough force it slips out(many torn up arms and knuckles). Also it is just hangin there has been for 3 weeks. The half-shaft isnt connected though, its just the transaxle to the cb joint and it riped apart. So im goin to try these in the morning.

Allright finally got it done! Yesterday was tired of it was goin to give it one last shot or take it to a shop with a lift. Well being out there for 10mins. and gettin mad, got a hammer and screw driver and hit it as hard as i could and just fell right out!! Was so happy! Now to wait for a new transaxle and lower balljoint, then i shall be driving agian!

the balljoint would have been fixed for free by mitsu.

What other recalls are out there?

I ran into this same problem when I last took mine in for an alignment. The mech found the bolt holding the control arm had completely sheared off and had to replace the entire assembly. If I had not taken my car to a private alignment shop when I did, the results could have been pretty bad!I wonder if Mits would reimburse for this because I never recieved a recall notice.

Which makes me wonder.. what other hidden surprises are lurking out there? Might be a good idea to have a 'recall info forum?' Just a thought

Well i like to do the work myself on my car just for the fact i now it was put together good cause i have been haveing bad luck with shops around here. They seem to forget to tighten bolts or somethin. Took truck in for new clutch(standard) and got it back tried to shift and it was real hard to and it was real loose got it home and looked at it and they forgot to put all the bolts in and tighten them down. Had new shocks put on and the forgot to tighten down the top bolts down. I dont know im just very leery now about who i let work on the g now.

Down fal

one of the down falls is i called mistu theay show it has aready been replaced so i have to spend the 150 for the new lower contorl arm with ball joint

Can I just go to any (Mitsubishi) dealer and get my balljoints replaced? How does that work?