The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: catback exhaust????

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    chauGTZ

catback exhaust????

hey wassup guys,
    ok im looking for a new exhaust cuz my hiyame is starting to rust on thes inside cuz ive had it for lik 2-3 yrs but i was just wondering if there are any companys that make catback exhaust for our cars? :?: i have a v6 gtz, id rather look for a whole catback first before i just get a muffler alone...thanks!!!

There aren't any full catback systems made for our cars. We've tried several places but they have yet to come to fruition. If you want it, it'll have to be custom and that's mad expensive. Do a search on catback exhaust and you'll see the latest discussions.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

chauGTZ
    o really? that sucks!...thanks alot for the reply. one more question you know how the 3g eclipses have pretty much the same parts, would i be able to fine a catback for the 3g eclipse and put it on my 8g v6?...thanks!!!!

Alister_McRae
    As far as i know, since the components for the 8g and 3g exhaust are somewhat different, the 3g cat back would not work, unless your a fabricating genius, but this is what i was told, maybe someone knows different.....mike

From what I can tell, an eclipse cat back will work but will definitely require some modifications. As far as I know, no one has tried it yet, so how much modification it will require is unknown.

-Mohammad

ScOtTiE_MaK

diameters???

im goin to get a custom cat back done.....ive been looking and thinking of what diameter i should get....some say 1.9" then some say go all out and get 3"......i still wanna maintain the clean low sound of my car so what would all of you suggest???? and what would give the best performance anywho =)

Scott

Re: diameters???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chauGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>o really? that sucks!...thanks alot for the reply. one more question you know how the 3g eclipses have pretty much the same parts, would i be able to fine a catback for the 3g eclipse and put it on my 8g v6?...thanks!!!!</div>

the exhaust from the 3G eclipse is almost exactly the same as the 8G. my car was used for measuremnets in MPHUnlimited's prototype cat-back system. the major difference is the galant has about 10" more to the rear bumper from the rear axle. otherwise the systems are almost exactly the same w/ the same mounting and cutoff points. a 3G cat back will fit with 10" of straight pipe spliced in between the muffler and the bends after the rear axle but the 3G system and the work will cost more than a full 8G custom job; this is why nobody has done it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScOtTiE_MaK)</div><div class='quotemain'>im goin to get a custom cat back done.....ive been looking and thinking of what diameter i should get....some say 1.9" then some say go all out and get 3"......i still wanna maintain the clean low sound of my car so what would all of you suggest???? and what would give the best performance anywho =) Â*

Scott Â*</div>

if ur gonna get custom, get mandrel bent... 2.25" for the i4 and 2.5" for the v6.

i have 2.75" mandrel bent piping keeping the main resonator, w/ a THERMAL R&D straight through race muffler in preparation for more mods on my v6.

do not get 3" piping unless you are going to get a super charger, turbo, or large amounts of nitrous since 3" on a lightly modded naturally aspirated 3.0L will cause scavenging and you will lose low end torque.</div>

there are axle backs on ebay. they aren't the best things but their ease of installation makes things cheaper then a custom job

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

BlaqueOut
    Actually i may be wrong, but I talked to this guy who has his own shop in KS, called HarderPerformance, and he quoted me a price from either a parts catalog, or by calling the company up. Anywhoo he said a Cat Back system from Dynomax was $200 plus he would have to install it. I may have my company wrong tho, but he said they do have one for the car.

Xska55
    I had the same thing in mind so i took my ride to a pro shop and that guy told me its not worth the money for the little mods i do have like cai and the rpw headers im gonna purchase, that stock system is more than enuff
    + if i did decide to do it, that removing all the resonators and the xtra catlytic converter would make sound like a run away lawn mower,,, his words exactlty,,, that had me rollin, but anyway yea he said it was only worth it if you had like turbo or supercharger, so i guess ill wait a while

BlaqueOut
    Aight so how bout we hear from other ppl on the forum who have an actuall Catback system. What are the gaines, and what kinds do yall have??

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlaqueOut)</div><div class='quotemain'>Aight so how bout we hear from other ppl on the forum who have an actuall Catback system. What are the gaines, and what kinds do yall have??</div>

It's hard for me to point out gains but as a rough estimate I think it added anywhere from 5 to 10 whp. I gained about 15 to 20 hp at the wheels with my mods on, divided up among 3 aftermarketing parts. Probably more like 7 hp now that I think about it. The other 2 parts were cold air induction and a downpipe.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison