The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: broke my MAS :(

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

broke my MAS :(

so im having this odd problem where my car stalls at lights, and one guy said it may be the MAS giving the wrong info to the computer, and thus mixing the air and fuel wrong... so he said get some stuff and clean it off... well all i had was WD-40... well i clean it off, and my car was running better, but the check engine light is on... and now its back to its normal shitty self... maybe a lil shittier now...

so i cleaned it with the actual cleaner for it, and nothing... so i think i broke it :(

i know its like $300 from the place by me, and i aint got that kinda moneh

anyone know a way to bypass it ? or to trick it into thinking its there ?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    ebay dowg.. like 20-30 bucks.

Or if you feel like upgrading, GM MAFT.

222whp/250wtq

GM MAFT if u plan on doing more performance in the long run. Much better response even on N/A, but not worth the $270 ish you'll drop setting it up if you don't go further into performance. Hit the junkyard...and pull like 20...2gs and 8gs use the same exact MAF.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

What number maf are you running? I have a #609 for sale, like the one in the 2G Eclipse. But yeah, you can't bypass it, it has to be there and it has to work.

Quote Originally Posted by bmore303 View Post
    ....Hit the junkyard...and pull like 20...2gs and 8gs use the same exact MAF.
    Who? 8gs use the #501.
    Last edited by gtx; 02-22-2008 at 07:07 AM

so with the check engine light, what code are you pulling??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

not sure on which code, i remember u have to put a jumper into two slots somewhere, and count the flashes of the CE light, but i dont remember where i was supposed to plug it, or any of that stuff... i know its gonna say my MAS is fubar cuz im pretty sure the WD-40 killed it...

not sure which MAS i got in there... watever was stock with the car... but its pretty damn cold out, and a buncha snow too, so im not gonna be able to see anytime soon...

whats the deal with the GM MAFT ?

Quote Originally Posted by 98GalantDriver View Post
    not sure on which code, i remember u have to put a jumper into two slots somewhere, and count the flashes of the CE light, but i dont remember where i was supposed to plug it, or any of that stuff... i know its gonna say my MAS is fubar cuz im pretty sure the WD-40 killed it...

not sure which MAS i got in there... watever was stock with the car... but its pretty damn cold out, and a buncha snow too, so im not gonna be able to see anytime soon...

whats the deal with the GM MAFT ?
    You have a 98, it's OBDII so you if you can get to autozone they will read the code for you for free. No need ground out any pins and read flashes of the CEL. that's ONLY for 94-95 galants that have the hybrid OBDI/OBDII harness.

The 8g MAS is not the same as the 7g either so you definitely need one from a 7g or 2g DSM.

GM MAFT is the combination of a GM MAS with a translator that you wire in so it will provide the ecu with the proper signals for a mitsu MAS. You can find more details here www.fullthrottlespeed.com or here www.maftpro.com
    Last edited by laxinwarrior; 02-22-2008 at 11:09 PM

222whp/250wtq

My fault, could've swore they had the same number.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

That's what I thought too until mtcavity1 was having issues with his when he was helping me install my turbo. We installed my stock MAS to see if that fixed the issue and it wouldn't work. ;-)

222whp/250wtq

ok... so i pick up this MAF TRANSLATOR FOR 2G ECLIPSE AND 3S and a MAS for a late model GM... plug it all in, screw it down, and thats it ?

what sort of gains do i get from it ?
    Last edited by 98GalantDriver; 02-23-2008 at 12:41 AM Reason: damn those elusive letters

Well it isn't completely plug and play, you will have to cut and splice some wires as well. Honestly the best you will see is probably just a quicker throttle response over stock. It really isn't much of a performance upgrade in itself but if you even think you might be upgrading in the future it could be worthwhile. From my personal experience, I wouldn't get anything besides the gen2 or the pro but I also am saying that based on the tuning features that are available through them. If you are looking for a basic get the car running again setup maybe that is the one that suits you best though.

222whp/250wtq

hmmmm... ill have to see what the bank account says...

but id so love to go into advanced auto and HAVE A CONVO LIKE...

"i need a MAF for a late model GM"
    "which one"
    "the cheapest :)"

yea, i think i might go for the Gen2 im looking at like $300 shipped, PLUS a MAS...
    whats my best bet for a MAS? I dont really like e-bay, abd i dont want 1 out of a car that was wrecked only to find out it doesnt work... anyone looking to get rid of one cheap ? lol

ide like to do some upgrades to the car, so what i think im gonna do is start amassing parts in my bedroom, then whenever i find a place to put them in, install them :P