The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Motor Oil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 33 of 33
    escoson
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Full synthetic really worked????? OMG, is it me or am I tripping.......Since I had my car in 01 till now, I have been using regular motor oil.......Recently, I put in fully synthetic from Mobil One and by god my car pulls like a mother.......Is that possible just from motor oil? I literally feel I have 3-5 more ponies in my car because of it...

Please tell me its because of the oil so from now on I will feed my baby with this stuff........

i also just switched to mobil 1 about 3 days ago and i noticed my car seems to idle a little lower and sounds alot smoother and nicer then before. it feels a little bit quicker like more of a boost i think it mite be from switching from normal oil to the mobil 1 synthetic blend. i also put 2 bottles of NOS octane booster with nitro methane in my tank every 8 weeks just to clean everything out and keep it running smooth. its about $10.00-$14.99 a bottle depending were you live (compared to $3.99 for other brands) but it is hella worth it . It gives you a nice amount of boost and I feel its great to toss a bottle in when going on a long trip down the highway.

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(escoson)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>Full synthetic really worked????? Â*OMG, is it me or am I tripping.......Since I had my car in 01 till now, I have been using regular motor oil.......Recently, I put in fully synthetic from Mobil One and by god my car pulls like a mother.......Is that possible just from motor oil? Â*I literally feel I have 3-5 more ponies in my car because of it...

Please tell me its because of the oil so from now on I will feed my baby with this stuff........</div>

i also just switched to mobil 1 about 3 days ago and i noticed my car seems to idle a little lower and sounds alot smoother and nicer then before. it feels a little bit quicker like more of a boost i think it mite be from switching from normal oil to the mobil 1 synthetic blend. i also put 2 bottles of NOS octane booster with nitro methane in my tank every 8 weeks just to clean everything out and keep it running smooth. its about $10.00-$14.99 a bottle depending were you live (compared to $3.99 for other brands) but it is hella worth it . It gives you a nice amount of boost and I feel its great to toss a bottle in when going on a long trip down the highway. </div>

Yup nothing like octance booster in ur motor to get u started...lol..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

firemen42
    i use 10w-40 is that good for oil

Quote Originally Posted by firemen42
    i use 10w-40 is that good for oil
    It's still a little heavy, knowing where you live and how cold the winters have been. You'd be better off with a 30 weight in either a synthetic blend or a full synthetic.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Gilhuly
    After doing a bit of research it is my firm belief that the single best thing you can do for your car if you want it to last is run synthetic oil. If you were to both run synthetic oil and a bypass filter you can virtually eliminate internal engine wear. When I get either a new car or I do a rebuild in my Galant that is the route I'm going.

Auto dealerships to say the least do not have a vested interest in making your car run 350,000 miles. Actually they probably do, but they don't think they do. Dealers do have an incentive (service business) but the manufacturer definitely doesn't.

Manybrews, what's your opinion?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>After doing a bit of research it is my firm belief that the single best thing you can do for your car if you want it to last is run synthetic oil. Â*If you were to both run synthetic oil and a bypass filter you can virtually eliminate internal engine wear. Â*When I get either a new car or I do a rebuild in my Galant that is the route I'm going.

Auto dealerships to say the least do not have a vested interest in making your car run 350,000 miles. Â*Actually they probably do, but they don't think they do. Â*Dealers do have an incentive (service business) but the manufacturer definitely doesn't. Â*

Manybrews, what's your opinion?</div>

my opinion is simple.... Mobil 1 is the best oil on the planet, hands down.

We sell only mobil products at our dealership.. its up to the owner wether or not they wanna spend the extra cash.
    However, it should be known that ALL of the worlds top manufacturers use Mobil 1 from the factory.
    the corvette does.
    Porsche does.
    mercedes does.
    ferrari does.
    The new Lancer Evo 8 does.

note.. this is NOT due to any extra performance, but rather because it does so well under a high stress enviroment such as high HP situations.

the oil itself has no "special additives" or anything that make it work better than regular oil. Its major benefits come from the fact that it isnt affected by temperature in the same way petrolium oils are.
    Synthetics flow freely up to 40 below, a temp at which regular oil barely moves. They also protect to temps upto 400 degrees, a temp at which regular oil boils away.

so yes, its worth the money to me, but if youre only driving a daily commuter, chances are it wont do much for you in the end.

you DO still need to change it every 3000 miles. Dont believe anyone who says you can go longer without an oil change, because they are 100 percent wrong.

There are a couple of synthetic oils I think are equally superior to other oils.
    [LIST][*]Redline[*]Amsoil[*]Lubrication Engineers[LIST]

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Personally, I use 5w30 Mobil 1 Synthetic, nothng else, EVER!!! Right after I bought my car I took it and had the oil flushed and replaced with the Synthetic, I have never used anything else since. I also go 5k between changes.

raringvt
    [quote="manybrews"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilhuly

you DO still need to change it every 3000 miles. Dont believe anyone who says you can go longer without an oil change, because they are 100 percent wrong.
    My galant manual says to change every 7500 miles...I change every 3000 also. Seems odd that the manual would say that (without indicating using synthetic).

I just changed mine using Mobil 1 full synthetic, been using M1syn for about the last 2 changes...very good oil and worth a little extra. My target has a pretty good price on it compared to automotive stores too. There are some things you just shouldn't skimp on and oil and oil changes are two of them. Another good idea is to use a GOOD fuel injector cleaner once in a while....and use the cheap ones (stp etc) fairly regularly...makes a big diff in performance vs not using one at all.

my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by raringvt
    My galant manual says to change every 7500 miles...I change every 3000 also. Seems odd that the manual would say that (without indicating using synthetic).
    if you read the fine print, the 7500 miles is a "light stress" condition.
    A condition in which NO NORMAL cars ever undergo.

M5-teaser
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Full synthetic really worked????? OMG, is it me or am I tripping.......Since I had my car in 01 till now, I have been using regular motor oil.......Recently, I put in fully synthetic from Mobil One and by god my car pulls like a mother.......Is that possible just from motor oil? I literally feel I have 3-5 more ponies in my car because of it...

Please tell me its because of the oil so from now on I will feed my baby with this stuff........

I use Mobil 1 / 0-40. Designed for Porche. I higher range of viscosity like mine 0 to 40 is the best. As for cold weather, since my viscosity dtarts at 0 - it doesn't get any lighter and easy flowing than that - the oil will immediately spread itself in the engine, eventually giving instant lubrication during start up. And if the weather becomes hot, it has the range of 40 to handle the heat -preventing oil break down.

This is the best oil I've used. Over 5 bucks a quart but replacement is not due after 7k miles. I change every 5k miles.

Faction
    is Castrol a good oil to use?

HiperSilver
    castrol, penzoil, etc

they are all the same, synthetic or not. its a regular oil

MOBIL 1 ownz! hands down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12