The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: One headlight not working

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

One headlight not working

The leftheadlight (if you're in the driver seat) is not working. Now, the yellow flashers still work but it seems that the main bulb/lamp does not turn on. Do I need to buy a new headlight or just the lamp/bulb? Is this something I can do or should I take it to the stealership? Would an autoparts store carry the lamps? I haven't posted much on here because this is the first time in a long time that something goes wrong on my Galant. Thanks for the input.

-Chris.
    - 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V (stock)
    - 1999 Mitsubishi Galant V6 (auto)
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

I believe you just need a new light bulb. The bulb is an H4 or 9003. the easiest thing to do would be to take the bulb out of the other side and put it in this side and see if it works. If it works you need a new bulb. If it doesn't come back here for some more solutions
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

make sure its plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    make sure its plugged in.
    ooo that one is good too. do this 1st and then try swapping bulbs
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Quote Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone View Post
    I believe you just need a new light bulb. The bulb is an H4 or 9003. the easiest thing to do would be to take the bulb out of the other side and put it in this side and see if it works. If it works you need a new bulb. If it doesn't come back here for some more solutions
    How exactly do I get to the bulb? I've never done this before.
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

You have to take the rubber boot off the back of the headlight housing first. Then you can unplug the bulb. To take the bulb out there is a metal clip that is attached with a couple of screws, or you can manipulate it to just pop out. Once the clip is off the bulb will slide right out.

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    check wires, fuse and bulbs.. no biggie i think

Dont touch the glass of the bulb neither, will destroy it.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Help!!!

I tried to pull out the lightbulb but now the car won't start! I don't know what I did wrong, nothing inside the car turns on. I didn't disconnect the battery. Should I try jump starting???

I tried pushing the lightbulb back into place and wiggled the key in the ignition and the car started up!! I don't know what's going on with this car, but now both headlights are on and working. I know that there are probably wires causing some sort of short circuit, but I don't feel very confident about this car anymore. I know this car has been through an accident and probably put back together in a "quick fix" way. I'm thinking of selling this Galant and getting another one, since my confidence is not lost in Mitsubishi, just in my Galant.

check to see if the harness that the bulbs plugs in is not melted, dont lose faith in a car cuz 1 small problem like this, just hang out here a lil more often and read up and u can learn alot man trust me when i say that cuz in the last 9 months ive learned so much from being around here
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    check to see if the harness that the bulbs plugs in is not melted, dont lose faith in a car cuz 1 small problem like this, just hang out here a lil more often and read up and u can learn alot man trust me when i say that cuz in the last 9 months ive learned so much from being around here
    It's not just one little thing, the airbags don't work. There is also a strange noise the car makes when it's in idle, which causes the check engine light to come on and when I turn the car off, smoke starts to come out from behind the stearing wheel, yes, behind the steering wheel, near the ignition. I can't take a chance on short circuits.