The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil capacity.

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Oil capacity.

When I change the oil on the Galant, I always use 6qts of oil. Is this correct? I assumed since it was a V6 engine, then 6 qts would be necessary. I don't have the owners manual by the way.
    - 2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V (stock)
    - 1999 Mitsubishi Galant V6 (auto)
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

You are here entirely tooo much!! RAZ_76's Avatar
    4.5 Quarts, I believe.

WarmAndSCSI
    No, 6 qt is overfilling. 4.5 quarts usually, 5 if you're racing. That's my recommendation.

whaooo 6 qts!!?!?! HOLY i only use 4.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    No, 6 qt is overfilling. 4.5 quarts usually, 5 if you're racing. That's my recommendation.
    4.5 - 5qts for the V6 Galant??? ARe you sure? Could excessive oil affect horsepower and mpg?
    "In the past, God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. For He has set a day when He will judge the world with justice by the Man [Jesus Christ] whom God appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising Him from the dead." Acts 17:30-31.

Yes he's sure. It's approximately the same amount of oil used in the I4 as well.

222whp/250wtq

Quote Originally Posted by cg1349 View Post
    4.5 - 5qts for the V6 Galant??? ARe you sure? Could excessive oil affect horsepower and mpg?
    Yes, it's 4.5 qts per the factory service manual.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    Yes, it's 4.5 qts per the factory service manual.
    Damn, I guess I better change the oil soon. I usually buy the 5qt containers at Wal-Mart. Can I just use 5qts safely?

WarmAndSCSI
    5 qt is safe. I've always run 5 qt on my race-built 6G72's.

you don't need an owners manual to see how much oil you need to put in. the dipstick is there for a reason.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    you don't need an owners manual to see how much oil you need to put in. the dipstick is there for a reason.
    Eh, you could start the engine with 9 quarts in it for whatever reason, let it warm up to operating temperature, and then shut it down to check the level and you'd end up with quite a bit of foamed up oil in the crank case. It's nice to know a reference value when you're doing an oil change.

6 quarts would NOT HURT this engine. I've torn into the bottom end of my 6G72's countless times. The oil level at 6 quarts wouldn't be anywhere NEAR the crank. I'd estimate about 8-9 quarts before you actually fill it up to where the crank is hitting the sump. However, save yourself some money and just use 4.5 quarts like specified.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI View Post
    Eh, you could start the engine with 9 quarts in it for whatever reason, let it warm up to operating temperature, and then shut it down to check the level and you'd end up with quite a bit of foamed up oil in the crank case. It's nice to know a reference value when you're doing an oil change.
    that is true. but common sense would say that you should add a couple quarts, then check the dipstick to see where you are at. then add/drain if needed. not add twice the recommended capacity and then check to see how much you have to drain.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Also if your in any type of high performance application and have an external oil cooler, you need to take into account the capacity of the coolier and lines as well. Between my lines and cooler I need nearly an additional 2 quarts. But when I change the oil I add 4 quarts then check because you have to take into account that due to the bends in the lines and location of the oil cooler, not all of the oil will drain out of the cooler and lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS