The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil light on at idle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 28 of 28
    yeah my just started doing the samething, it doesnt happen all the time, just once in awhile. i checked the oil, but it has a good amount. im not to worried about it, since the car is idling right and there isnt really anything else wrong with it, but yeah keep us updated so i know if i need to fix the pressure or oil pump itself.

TeamDreamSpeed / PizzaBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    I can't believe a meet never happening all because I or James is not gonna be present. What kind of crap is that? Since when was G-spot and Silver01G heart and soul of TGCTX?

FOUND IT! Problem solved

OK, so far so good. Had it back at the mechanic, and he figured it out.

It wasn't the sending unit, but the plug that the sending unit plugs into.

As it turns out, it must have been going bad (he says plug was corroded a little when he took it out) he cleaned it and put a new sensor (and didn't charge me) on Friday when it left, so the light wasn't going on. Within 24 hrs, it started to come on as I described.

What happened now? The wire to the plug must have been weak and it went bad or was barely making contact with the plug...sometimes. When I accelerated, the engine moves a little, just enough to make the connection again.

What I don't understand is, why now? I mean before the belt change, the light never went on like that. Do you have to disconnect the oil sensor to do the belt change? Water pump? Seems kinda fishy...

I also asked about the oil pump PSI, which he said was good, and the whole oil pump procedure listed earlier in the thread (thanks for posting). He was aware of it...if by nodding to me it meant he was aware.

Anyways, so far so good. Ill post back if there is any changes.

WarmandSCSI-

Thanks again for the guidance...I didn't want to bash the mechanic over the head with what you and other here mentioned, but I had most of this post in my pocket (and in my head) just in case...

HMMM. I wonder if something similar happened to my beloved Antilock/ABS light issue ????

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    yup, only at idle
    I had this problem, came on at idle and if my bass hit hard enough, the part was like 12 dollars or something and had the dealership fix it for $40, problem gone

WarmAndSCSI
    Glad it's fixed. It's just a small spade connector. Kind of prone to these issues.

Some more follow-up:

Light still hasn't come on again- YEAH!

I had a chance to the ask the serv. mgr some more questions and he thinks that perhaps when they lifted the engine a little to do the belt change, they may have place it on the wire by accident somehow.

Is that possible? where is the oil sending plug and wire in relation to the engine?

Also, since the oil light is not part of the check lights when the car starts, How do I know that its still working? I just wanna understand this a little better. The oil light comes on at low psi, so it must have a delay of some sort when starting right?

Can someone pull a fuse or something and disable the light altogether? If so where?

Just curious...

ya so where is this connector in the engine bay? mine just started doing the same thing and i just had my timing belt replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by swany View Post
    ya so where is this connector in the engine bay? mine just started doing the same thing and i just had my timing belt replaced.
    Not sure where, but I'm being told that its prone to corrosion. Also, if mech. lifts the engine (they have to place the engine at an angle for timing belt change, I guess to get at the belt???) and are not careful, they could pinch the connector or wire.

I think its on the bottom...but that's a guess.

Where is the sensor located, i need to replace mine, if some one has a picture or location of it, is it in the front back or on the side of the engine,

2000 I4 100k Miles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12