The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: wierd idle problem

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

wierd idle problem

i installed a radio in an 00 galant, well tried to at least. ended up blowing the fuse in the engine compartment which shut off the interior lights and made the door locks not work. i fixed the fuse, now i have a wierd problem with the idle. if you start it up it will run fine for about 5 seconds then it will bog down to about 500 rpms maybe lower, put it in gear and it runs even worse. driving, slowing down it feels like it wants to stall, eventually it does. no idea what could be the problem or why the radio would even effect that. its never done this until i messed with the radio

its an 00 with a 2.4L
    85k miles or so

Quote Originally Posted by booothhh View Post
    i installed a radio in an 00 galant, well tried to at least. ended up blowing the fuse in the engine compartment which shut off the interior lights and made the door locks not work. i fixed the fuse, now i have a wierd problem with the idle. if you start it up it will run fine for about 5 seconds then it will bog down to about 500 rpms maybe lower, put it in gear and it runs even worse. driving, slowing down it feels like it wants to stall, eventually it does. no idea what could be the problem or why the radio would even effect that. its never done this until i messed with the radio

its an 00 with a 2.4L
    85k miles or so
    I had the same problem. My dad bought me an 01 G and he bought a factory 02 CD player for it. After about 3 months, the car started getting erratic idles and would sometimes just decide not to even shift by itself. I had to spend $1000 on the damn thing until I just decided to take the radio out. All problems were gone.

Try taking the radio out and drive around like that and see if the problem stops. If it did, get a new radio. Electrician told me my car had the radio connected with the speedo. If I brake my car hard, the sound on the speakers drops. I guess it does this so I can hear better if the car brakes hard.

There is probably no connection, although did you unplug the battery when you installed the radio?

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    There is probably no connection, although did you unplug the battery when you installed the radio?
    no i didnt.. im a fool i know. the radio still doesnt work, i unplugged the illumination wire because ive been told that i didnt need it.

trannys a little sluggish, it was like that before though maybe it got a little worse.
    im not exactly sure where a galant is supposed to idle
    i was told it would usually idle around 1000-1500 depending on the temp
    now its idling between 500-850 rpms in all gears, heat on/off, ac on/off

i checked the intake system (which is still stock), the filter was a little dirty cleaned it out and that seemed to help stable the idle a tiny bit
    theres a remote starter on the car, it runs half way decent when you use the key,
    but when you use the remote starter it will start, shut off about 1-2 seconds after and then it will keep trying to restart

do you think it could be a problem with the ecu?
    Last edited by booothhh; 04-04-2008 at 04:04 PM

you only need the illumination wire if your radio has a dimmer, which means when you cut your corners on the backlight on the radio dims. I had a simular problem, my illumination wire was hooked up wrong and my corner lights on the driver side were on whenever my radio was so i had to drive with my corners on all the time. Turned out to just be a fuse under the hood. And the sad part is 3 techs at my job looked at it and no one could figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by booothhh View Post
    no i didnt.. im a fool i know. the radio still doesnt work, i unplugged the illumination wire because ive been told that i didnt need it.

trannys a little sluggish, it was like that before though maybe it got a little worse.
    im not exactly sure where a galant is supposed to idle
    i was told it would usually idle around 1000-1500 depending on the temp
    now its idling between 500-850 rpms in all gears, heat on/off, ac on/off

i checked the intake system (which is still stock), the filter was a little dirty cleaned it out and that seemed to help stable the idle a tiny bit
    theres a remote starter on the car, it runs half way decent when you use the key,
    but when you use the remote starter it will start, shut off about 1-2 seconds after and then it will keep trying to restart

do you think it could be a problem with the ecu?
    thats a normal idle

souds like you first need to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and reset the iac motor etc, then let it run for 10 mins then turn on for 10 mins with the ac on to reset the compuer if that does not work get another radio I have a alpine and it works fine ,make sure you stay with a good brand our cars are not wired for crap and make sure you use the adapter plugs too.