The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Can't get axle out

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Can't get axle out

I'm trying to change the passenger side axle on my 8G V6 and I can't get the half shaft out of the inner shaft. It is just a press fit, right? I've been prying at it for an hour now and it only slid out a tiny bit. Now the aluminum ring I was prying against is nicked up. Anyone have any ideas of how to pry it out?

alot of times it take brut force... double check there are no bolts holding it in place and then grab the shaft and pull like hell... i see this all the time at work..
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    David im not too familiar with half shafts since the I4's dont have them, but you might be better off just taking the inner shaft out from the trans, putting the inner shaft (the bar part) into a vice, and using force to get the half shaft out. Do the half shafts have retaining rings on the end? If they do, spin it little by little while pulling on it, you need to get the open end of the clip inside to face down while pulling so its not locked in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

If it is the same as the 7g and if it is still in the transmissions you have to knock it out through the drivers side. Had that problem when i did my transmisson the first time.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    you need a nice prybar and alot of leverage. Been there done that on many cars, its all about the force and leverage.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

I finally got it out... well, my Father got it out. After hours banging away at it, my Father parked his Kubota tractor next to my car and he hooked up a come-a-long to the axle and the tractor. He tightened it up until it started actually making my car slide across the floor on the jack stands, then got under the car and banged on the axle. The axle pulled out a bit, then he tightened up the come-a-long again. With one more good hit, the axle popped out. I swear, every time I've worked on my car and had problems, my Father always finds a way to get it done. I took a picture of him tightening the come-a-long with my phone, but I can't upload it from my parent's house. I'll have to wait until I get back to NY tomorrow.

I also replaced my front sway bar end links which were a bitch. I had to cut off the nuts.

Just when I thought I was fixing all the things wrong with my car, I see that my rear passenger Tein SS-P damper is leaking oil. The damn seal must have broke. That really sucks! I need to send it back to Tein to be rebuilt, but I can't be without my car. I'm probably going to just buy a set of lowering springs and some AGX's then sell off my Teins if anyone is interested.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Its great to see that your are making progress on getting your 8g back running again. Its been along time since I have seen anything new with your car. I know at one point you were thinking of just getting out of the game.

Its really nice to see TGC OG's getting their cars back up especially yours being one of the original 8g's being equipped with JDM parts.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    Its great to see that your are making progress on getting your 8g back running again. Its been along time since I have seen anything new with your car. I know at one point you were thinking of just getting out of the game.

Its really nice to see TGC OG's getting their cars back up especially yours being one of the original 8g's being equipped with JDM parts.
    Thanks. I'm trying to get back to looking good again, but every time I save money to fix something, another things breaks. Once again I need to spend money on something else rather then what I saved it for, like getting my new JDM parts painted. I'll post a couple pics I took today in Member Rides.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Well it always happens that way, just when you fix something something else takes a crap...and these are the moments that test your true patience and determination. Trust me I know...my GVR4 did that to me for awhile after I bought the car and was fixing things that needed to replaced. It was thing after thing...I was close to giving up on it and cut my losses.

It just takes time and sometimes life happens and hobbies have to take a backseat for the time being.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    so true indeed.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678