The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car RPM's drop off and die at stop

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar

Car RPM's drop off and die at stop

After installing my amp/subs, sometimes when coming to a stop my car idles between 500-750 rpms or it also dies. I did disconnect my battery when installing it, so i don't know if it reset something. Any ideas?

Your car needs to relearn idle.

Just disconnect the battery and let it sit for ten or fifteen minutes and then go get out on the freeway and go about 55mph and keep it there.

It'll quit after a while. I had this same problem after doing work on my car.

ALSO. Make sure you have a good connection for the battery, because a bad ground connection did that to me also. My car died in rush hour traffic in a left turn lane. I had to get out of the car, open the hood and readjust the terminal on the battery to get my car to start.

I had a problem like that and I had to change my valve cover seal because I had oil leaking into the distributer
    Lamar Gilmore

When my intake manifold was cracked, it also did that. Check around near the throttle body to make sure your manifold isn't cracked.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lavie2k9 View Post
    Your car needs to relearn idle.

Just disconnect the battery and let it sit for ten or fifteen minutes and then go get out on the freeway and go about 55mph and keep it there.

It'll quit after a while. I had this same problem after doing work on my car.

ALSO. Make sure you have a good connection for the battery, because a bad ground connection did that to me also. My car died in rush hour traffic in a left turn lane. I had to get out of the car, open the hood and readjust the terminal on the battery to get my car to start.
    this is all that is was. after it died the last time, i actually drove for about 40-50 miles on a highway to work and it hasn't happened since. so now it idles between 750-1k